Ras El Hanout

Ras el hanout or “top of the shop” is a spice mix that is made of the finest spices a spice merchant has. It varies slightly, here and there, from shop to shop and from region to region, but generally consists of the same base ingredients. A ras el hanout from a Marrakesh souk in the South of Morocco is sure to be spicier and bolder than one from Tangiers in the North. This one is full of flavor with a mild kick, which makes it sit somewhere in the middle. Ras el hanout makes any meat, tagine or vegetable stew taste fabulous.

Imagine. Imagine yourself in a souk. Imagine the mysterious alleys. The centuries-old remparts. Imagine the filtered light. The earth colors. Imagine the intoxicating smells. Imagine adventure.

Ras el hanout

Makes about ¼ cup

1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Mix all the spices together and store in an airtight plastic bag.

10 Responses to “Ras El Hanout”

karolyn tobiasson — 01/21/2010 @ 3:17 am

I am interested in all types of foods. I would really like to learn about spices and how to use them. I only cook for my husband and myself because our 6 children are with their on families. I have always been a basic cook just trying to feed our family and getting them on their way. Well, now I want to serve special foods with different tastes. I want to be a great cook. Thank you for considering me and I hope that you pick me. Thank you, Karolyn Tobiasson

tasteofbeirut — 01/21/2010 @ 4:18 am

This was a fascinating post Nisrine, I love the photos, wished I was there, believe me! I love spice stores!
    I have never made Ras el Hanout, time to try it!

rosanna — 01/21/2010 @ 8:47 am

Very interesting post. I bought ras el hanout for the first time last week, for the moroccan lunch. I think we are going to repeat this next sunday!

Enchanted Fig — 01/21/2010 @ 7:24 pm

Lovely! Reminds me of the market in the old city of Jerusalem…that's the only similar place of spice eye candy I've experienced. Mounds of spices, nuts, dried fruit. We need something like that on this continent!

Kitchen Butterfly — 01/21/2010 @ 8:59 pm

Love the spice towers…..and Middle eastern flavours!

Nisrine Merzouki — 01/21/2010 @ 10:11 pm

Karolyn, I'm glad to hear that you want to diversify your cooking. It is a great pleasure for me to bring different flavors to my dishes. I hope you enjoy that too!
    Enchated fig, I'm happy I'm not the only one who wishes to see similar markets around here. They have a toally different feel about them. I can only imagine how amazing the one in Jerusalem is.
    Rosanna and Joumana, you'll have to let me know about your adventures with ras el hanout. I can't wait.

Cinnamon-Girl♥ — 01/22/2010 @ 10:43 pm

I'm imagining – and it's heavenly! What gorgeous spices!

Cheryl — 01/23/2010 @ 12:56 am

Is it wrong to just want to dive into those spice piles? I can imagine how wonderful they smell. The ambiance of the lighting, art and scent is probably pretty amazing.

Nisrine Merzouki — 01/23/2010 @ 1:51 am

No, it's not wrong to dive right in, Cheryl. I've done it before, and it felt so good :)

Brambo2000 — 04/22/2012 @ 3:03 pm

Thank you so much for posting this spice mix. Recipes for this are hard to find. Besides its more fun to mix your own than just going to Dean and Delucca.