Baghrir: Moroccan Pancakes

The more holes your baghrir has the finer it is according to baghrir connoisseurs. As I watchfully stood in front of the stove contemplating my first baghrira cooking, my heart pounded heavily. I was relieved each time a pore formed. By the time it was cooked, it was porous throughout. My face beamed with pride and relief. What an embarrassment would it have been to present my mother with a hole-less-American-pancake-looking baghrira. The news of my failure would have traveled all the way to Morocco through Kasbahs and riads, reaching friends, relatives and enemies.

But, nay, it was a victory worth celebrating with mint tea, a success to be recorded for posterity. Whew!

Baghrir Recipe with Honey Butter Syrup

8 to 12 servings

For the baghrir

2 cups fine semolina or cornmeal (preferably semolina)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk, warm but comfortable to the touch
2 cups water, warm but comfortable to the touch

For the syrup

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup honey (preferably orange blossom)

Add all the ingredients for the baghrir to the container of a blender and blend until a homogenous batter is obtained. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and allow it to rest at room temperature 30 minutes to an hour.

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat until very hot. Gently stir the batter with a spoon to make a little lighter. Pour a ladleful of batter onto the skillet and cook until its surface is porous and the batter dry, 1 to 2 minutes. Baghrir cooks on only one side so there is no need to turn it over.

Prepare the syrup by melting the butter and honey over low heat until hot and sizzling, 2 to 4 minutes. Top the baghrir liberally with syrup and serve immediately. Store remaining baghrir coverered in the refrigerator and microwave it for 15 to 20 seconds before use.

18 Responses to “Baghrir: Moroccan Pancakes”

the lacquer spoon — 03/23/2010 @ 8:01 am

Hi Nisrine, thanks for your comment on my blog! Moroccan version of pancake looks a huge English crumpet, but new to me. Amazing. Love to eat for breakfast, and afternoon too :)

Pam — 03/23/2010 @ 12:26 pm

Oh I really like the way that pancake looks..so yummy and the berries…the colors are so beautiful!

xoxo

Rachana Kothari — 03/23/2010 @ 7:17 pm

I love these Moroccan pancakes…they look so cool and taste great too:) Amazing recipe Nisrine!

Aniko — 03/23/2010 @ 8:34 pm

Hi,
    Thanks for yr visit! Congratulation for yr blog , i'll become a fan for Marrakesh Express!
    Ciao!
    Aniko

Barbara Bakes — 03/24/2010 @ 12:16 am

I'm sure your mother was very impressed with your gorgeous pancake!

Fimère — 03/24/2010 @ 12:40 am

c'est vrai que c'est capital de réussir les baghrir, en tous les cas ça reste toujours excellent, moi j'en raffole
    bonne journée

Yasmeen — 03/24/2010 @ 1:29 pm

I'd totally love these for breakfast :D

ceilithe — 03/24/2010 @ 8:14 pm

You have a lovely blog, Nisrine. I love the baghrir — any way to make them gluten-free??
    Thanks!!

Cinnamon-Girl — 03/24/2010 @ 9:15 pm

Beautiful! I bet those holes suck up that delicious honey butter to make a lovely treat for breakfast.

Nisrine Merzouki — 03/25/2010 @ 12:46 am

Ceilithe,you read my mind. I was actually thinking about making them gluten-free. I will try a couple of recipes and post one in a few weeks.

Sook — 03/25/2010 @ 12:51 am

Wow, the pancake is so pretty! I have never tried the Moroccan pancakes but I can't wait to try it!

Katie @ Cozydelicious — 03/25/2010 @ 1:20 am

Your pancake looks beautiful! I just found your blog and am so glad I did. I've never had Moroccan pancakes, but they look like such fun, I'm going to hav eto give this recipe a shot. Thank you!

Mari — 03/25/2010 @ 8:26 pm

Your pictures are beautiful and your words are nourishing too. I have so enjoyed perusing your blog!!

<3 mari

CakeBatterandBowl — 03/26/2010 @ 3:49 am

What a cool and unique dish – I'll have to try these! I love that they have yeast in them too, unlike traditional American pancakes, I can just imagine how light and fluffy they are!

mangocheeks — 03/30/2010 @ 2:07 pm

Nisrine,
    I always wondered how to make these from scratch as in the U.K we often get told to substitute the baghrir with English crumpets, and I don't think they are the same. I truly appreciate your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing.

rachel — 04/02/2010 @ 6:32 pm

Oh my this looks really great! i love trying out recipes from other cultures that i wouldn't otherwise think to make, and i think i will definitely try this out for breakfast next weekend instead of my usual waffles. thanks!

Anonymous — 04/13/2010 @ 3:25 pm

Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Champagne Sommelier — 09/10/2011 @ 6:18 pm

they are the BEst! for breakfast, for Ramadan, for Brunch with friends. Just a new versatile way to indulge with Pancakes outside of American classics.
    And you get to eat them with your fingers!!!! Yeah!!!!