Tomato Leek Soup

While I tend to consume more soups in the winter—for obvious reasons—tomato soup, in my opinion, is an all-year-round soup. I actually find the lightness and acidity of the tomatoes more suitable for the warmer seasons. If it were up to me, all soups should have leek as a base. I think it lends an incredible, buttery taste that’s richer and sweeter than onions.

This soup took me 15 minutes from start to finish. I used canned instead of fresh tomatoes this time, cooked them for 10 minutes in chicken broth with aromatics, blended my soup, stirred in some cream, and voilà!—my soup was ready. My mother had two servings, my daughter—who’s normally anti-soup —dipped in two slices of bread and finished her entire bowl. I savored mine slowly after everybody was done and the kitchen was cleared out and all mine.

Tomato Leek Soup

2 tablespoons butter
1 large leek, minced
2 garlic cloves, halved
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes (or 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped)
1 ½ cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
½ cup heavy whipping cream

In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the leek and garlic and sauté until the leek is translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add the diced tomatoes, chicken broth and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Increase the heat to medium-high. Cover the pot with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.

Discard the bay leaves. Using a stick blender, blend the soup until very smooth. Stir in the cream. Serve warm.

14 Responses to “Tomato Leek Soup”

mangocheeks — 03/31/2010 @ 8:20 pm

Nisrine. I completely agree with you – tomato soup lends itself well on warm days and should not be limited to the winter season. It is the one soup, I will slurp on it on summery days.

The leek in the soup is interesting as I would not have thought about using it for a tomato soup.

I also wanted to come by and say Thank you so, so much – you know why :D

elra — 03/31/2010 @ 11:06 pm

Lovely soup Nisrine. It's cold again here in North CA, so this will be perfect to warm us up.

Anonymous — 04/01/2010 @ 12:18 am

Reads delicious, I think I might have to give it a go….

Bryan — 04/01/2010 @ 1:12 am

Wow very simple, but this sounds great! I like tomato soup all year around too.

El — 04/01/2010 @ 3:33 am

I love tomato soup. And to have such a quick and easy recipe is marvelous. Thank you!

Saveurs et Gourmandises — 04/01/2010 @ 9:03 am

Tomates/poireaux : une combinaison que je ne fais pas habituellement. Je testerai bien.
    A bientôt.

Fimère — 04/01/2010 @ 11:24 am

une soupe légère et savoureuse, j'aime bien l'ajout du poireau, c'est vrai que c'est intéressant
    à noter
    bonne journée

Barbara — 04/01/2010 @ 5:04 pm

Looks absolutely delightful, Nizrene! I love tomato soup too…and this is such a nice simple recipe with lots of flavor!

Carolyn Jung — 04/02/2010 @ 3:28 am

With a nice melty cheese sandwich to go with this, I would be in pure heaven. I think it's the kid in me. Who can resist a grilled cheese sammy with a big bowl of wonderful tomato soup! ;)

grace — 04/02/2010 @ 8:43 am

tomato soup should most definitely not be limited to the winter months! this looks like a lovely batch–was anything lost by using canned tomatoes? i haven't tried that tactic myself. it would sure save a lot of time and hassle! :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums — 04/02/2010 @ 11:23 am

An unusual combination! That soup looks really good!

Cheers,

Rosa

Nisrine Merzouki — 04/02/2010 @ 3:10 pm

Grace, it is most definitely better with fresh tomatoes. It was quite good with canned tomatoes as well, though. So if you have the time to peel and chop tomatoes, by all means do that. If not, you would still get a stellar soup using canned.

Yasmeen — 04/05/2010 @ 12:31 am

yummy!I love soups year round,the leeks in soup sounds very interesting :D

Anna — 04/25/2010 @ 7:31 pm

It's hot and sunny here in Austin, but this soup is compelling! I've copied the recipe and will let you know when I make it. Love your blog, Nisrine! Thanks for visiting mine. Also, I took a look at your book on Amazon and it's on my want list.