Quinoa Salad with Tuna, Corn and Olives

Quinoa is a “grain” I didn’t grow up eating. In fact I have only heard of it for the first time about 7 or 8 years ago after I moved to the United States. Being new to it, I must admit that my first quinoa dishes weren’t impressive. I quickly realized though that I can do with it whatever I’m used to doing with couscous and rice dishes. This recipe is one my mom made often with rice. It is a favorite in our family because of its light, acidulated taste and varied, fulfilling ingredients.

In the warmer seasons, I would often have this dish by itself. When I feel like eating a larger meal, I make it as a side dish with grilled chicken, beef or fish. You’ll appreciate the ease of preparation of this dish. If you have leftovers, you can keep them in the refrigerator—they stay fresh-tasting for days.

Quinoa Salad Recipe

For the salad

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water

10 ounces canned tuna, drained
1 cup canned corn kernels, rinsed and drained
1 cup pitted black olives

For the Dressing
3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
A few drops hot pepper sauce (optional)

Place the quinoa with the water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Transfer the quinoa to a large mixing bowl. Add the tuna, corn and olives. Whisk the ingredients for the dressing together in a separate bowl. Add the dressing to the salad and toss. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

21 Responses to “Quinoa Salad with Tuna, Corn and Olives”

Bryan — 04/28/2010 @ 12:23 am

This looks so good Nisrine! I thinkdI have heard of Quinoa but I have never used it. I guess the search for another ingredient is under way! Thanks

Sandy a la Mode — 04/28/2010 @ 12:50 am

i HEART quinoa! i just posted a quinoa salad recipe last month! that salad recipe and quinoa patties are the only things i know how to make with quinoa so i really appreciate you posting a new recipe for me!! AND we just bought a bunch of tuna at costco so i will definitely need to try this out soon! =)

Kamalika — 04/28/2010 @ 4:19 am

HI, Nisrin, the dish looks so gorgeous and healthy…lovely dish….

Mademoiselle Poirot — 04/28/2010 @ 7:58 am

My god, I remember my mum making the same salad (though with rice instead of quinoa) when I was a child… This brings back memories, thanks :-) Love from London, Carole x

Angie's Recipes — 04/28/2010 @ 11:03 am

This quinoa salad sounds and looks gorgeous. I love it.

From the Kitchen — 04/28/2010 @ 3:14 pm

I just discovered your delicious blog on another blog. I'm so happy to "meet" you. This recipe is certainly one that I'll do but, right now, I'm headed off to Whole Foods for some peach kefir. I cannot wait to enjoy that chilly treat! We love Moroccan food so I'll be back to check out your recipes further.

Best,
    Bonnie

Mary — 04/28/2010 @ 4:58 pm

I really love the way this salad looks. I've bookmarked this for later use. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

Kathleen — 04/28/2010 @ 7:17 pm

Can you believe I still haven't tried quinoa! This recipe looks and sounds delicious!

MaryMoh — 04/28/2010 @ 9:35 pm

I've not tried quinoa. Your dish looks very delicious. Hope to try some day.

Cinnamon-Girl — 04/29/2010 @ 1:19 am

I haven't tried quinoa yet either! I really need to change that. I love everything about yours! It looks like something I would be happy to find leftover in my refrigerator!

Dana — 04/29/2010 @ 4:22 am

The pairing of corn and olives looks very interesting. I really enjoy quinoa, but have yet to perfect its preparation. It always turns out kind of gluey and funny.

Fimère — 04/29/2010 @ 10:20 am

je n'ai jamais essayer de la préparer avec du quinoa mais vu cette sublime présentation ça ne peut être que savoureux
    bonne journée

3 hungry tummies — 04/29/2010 @ 2:51 pm

I have started to use quinoa in my cooking, great ingredient. I certainly will try this wonderful dish of yours!

Cool Lassi(e) — 04/29/2010 @ 3:49 pm

That salad looks divine! I wish I could have that plate all to myself. A very unique and interesting combo of ingredients there.

Nadji — 04/29/2010 @ 3:49 pm

Je fais aussi de la salade de quinoa et je trouve cela très bon.
    A bientôt.

Cool Lassi(e) — 04/29/2010 @ 3:50 pm

Does Moroccan and Turkish cuisine have anything common? I am enrolled in a Turkish cooking class and so far, I am on a roll and loving every minute of it! Want to try something authentic with a Tagine pot.Nice stumbling into your space.

Trix — 04/29/2010 @ 8:07 pm

Funny, my first quinoa salad was less than stellar as well! I'm glad you kept trying – this one looks delicious!

Bridgett — 04/29/2010 @ 8:31 pm

I really like this salad and it would be perfect for a summertime picnic. I am new to the whole quinoa thing but I am having fun discovering new ways to use it.

theUngourmet — 04/29/2010 @ 9:11 pm

I've never thought to use tuna with my quinoa. Brilliant! I really love this salad!

myfrenchkitchen — 04/30/2010 @ 8:06 pm

I love quinoa and I can't have enough ideas to play around with. Another lovely idea rom you which will find itself on my table, even if varated a bit..as we always do, non?
    I think most people completely overcook their quinoa, I like it still with a slight "bite". I had a dinner a while ago and her quinoa was so overcooked, it was like eating a porridge…couldn't swallow it…he he.
    Ronelle

Nisrine Merzouki — 05/01/2010 @ 1:16 am

Lassi, I love Turkish cuisine. So cool that you're enrolled in a class. Yes Turkish and Moroccan cuisines have a lot of similarities. They use a lot of the same ingredients. Go for a tagine-you'll love it!