Strawberry Cobbler with Quinoa Topping (Gluten-Free)

God bless Memorial Day. Not only for the obvious reason but also for the many things having the day off allowed me to do today. My hand-wash clothes pile—whose label clearly says “machine washable” but qualifies as too delicate for me—was continuously growing on the bathroom counter for the past two weeks. My car was becoming an embarrassment with its bric-a-brac of books, toys, jackets, barrettes, paper clips, handouts from workshops, etc. The clothes and the car were thoroughly washed and things are looking presentable and refreshingly uncluttered again. It was a soapy morning inside and outside the house.

All that activity gave me the hunger of a wolf. Thankfully I had my delicious strawberry cobbler/crumble/crisp to go to. I prepared it the day before and had a little more than half of it left in the refrigerator waiting to be reheated and enjoyed. And reheated and enjoyed it was by me.

This strawberry cobbler/crumble/crisp—no matter the name—is easy to make, healthfully sweetened with agave syrup and a delicious combination of juicy and crispy: oven-tender, succulent strawberries and lightly browned, crunchy quinoa and walnuts tied together with a just a soupçon of butter and vanilla.

Gluten-free Strawberry Cobbler Recipe

8 to 10 servings

For the strawberries
5 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 tablespoon corn starch
4 tablespoons agave syrup
1 teaspoon lime juice

For the quinoa topping
1 cup cooked quinoa
4 tablespoons agave syrup
1 tablespoon butter, melted
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch sea salt
¼ cup chopped walnuts, almonds or pistachios

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a 9 to 10-inch round or 8-inch square baking dish, combine the strawberries, cornstarch, agave syrup, and lime juice. Toss gently to mix.

Remove any excess water from the quinoa. Add the agave syrup, melted butter, vanilla extract, sea salt and walnuts. Stir to combine. Top the strawberries evenly with the quinoa mix. Bake the strawberry cobbler until the quinoa is crispy and golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool the cobbler for 10 minutes before serving.

27 Responses to “Strawberry Cobbler with Quinoa Topping (Gluten-Free)”

Trix — 05/31/2010 @ 8:18 pm

That looks awesome!! I do believe every weekend should last 3 days – just think how much more organized we would be!!!

Nisrine Merzouki — 05/31/2010 @ 8:20 pm

I totally agree with you. Two days are simply not enough for much.

rosanna — 05/31/2010 @ 9:38 pm

Wow, I love that kind of mondays, I think there should be a couple of them a month. I really need one of those, I've been needing one for some 4-5 weeks now. But instead of one I think I need a whole week. I need a whole week for me amd my things, for my car, my home, my papers, my kitchen, my body, my clothes and my wardrobe… SOS
    I like this recipe. I bought a packet of quinoa for the first time in my life a couple of months ago, and I still haven't cooked anything with it. Maybe your recipe it's what I was waiting for!

Susan — 05/31/2010 @ 10:07 pm

Nisrine, you have a most interesting recipe. I love quinoa but would have never thought out of the box enough to try this. Thanks to you, I will. Thanks. Also, I love agave syrup. It is such a wonderful alternative to sugar.

Lucy — 05/31/2010 @ 10:29 pm

Oh if only 3-day weekends became permanent! I am envious of this crumble though, it looks marvellous and I would never have thought of a quinoa topping! Delish.

♥peachkins♥ — 05/31/2010 @ 11:49 pm

It looks absolutely delicious..I bet it's even better when topped with ice cream..

The Peach Kitchen
    blowing peachkisses
    peach and things

Sook — 06/01/2010 @ 2:20 am

Oh wow, I am drooling over here! That looks so good!!

Katie@Cozydelicious — 06/01/2010 @ 2:54 am

I love the idea of a quinoa topping here – how wonderful! This looks so, so tasty.

Mademoiselle Poirot — 06/01/2010 @ 7:34 am

Oh yum, that looks sooo delicious! It's only breakfast time here right now, but I really feel like having a plate full of it already. The picture is lovely too :-) Bisous & Love from London x

Bryan — 06/01/2010 @ 9:51 am

Looks wonderful! I so love a good cobbler/crisp still warm with a little ice cream just heaven.

Rachana Kothari — 06/01/2010 @ 12:24 pm

This looks irresistible… Would love to have a bite :-)

penandra — 06/01/2010 @ 3:46 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! I was at THREE potlucks this weekend (one at my home, two at the homes of others). After the success of my fruit crisp at my potluck on Friday evening, I just made the same thing for the two at the homes of others — a crisp made with blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, and mango. Had a request for a different mixture of fruit for next Sunday's TWO potlucks. At one, the hostess is gluten-free and I was wondering how I could change my recipe so that she could enjoy this dessert. You are spectacular for having done this just for me! ;-) Thank you!

Joanne — 06/01/2010 @ 4:47 pm

I can't believe that this has quinoa on top! you have no idea how happy this makes me. If I'm ever going to get my family to enjoy quinoa…it's going to be in cobbler form.

M D — 06/01/2010 @ 5:22 pm

U have made me hungry again after a heavy meal I had just a few mins ago. I want this for my dessert pls! It looks tempting!

Nadji — 06/01/2010 @ 7:11 pm

Quel plat! Il me plait beaucoup.
    Je note ta recette.
    Ton plateau de pâtisserie marocaine est du pur plaisir.
    A bientôt.

Cinnamon-Girl — 06/01/2010 @ 7:41 pm

What a delicious and beautiful treat Nisrine after getting all that work done! And very unique with the quinoa topping. xo

Nisrine Merzouki — 06/01/2010 @ 8:08 pm

Penandra, I'm happy my recipe will enable you to make your favorite cobbler gluten-free. I am confident your hostess will be pleased and others will be surprised by the unusal and healthy topping. Please let me know how it turns out. I hope you enjoy it.

Cinnamon-Girl — 06/01/2010 @ 9:03 pm

Hi again Nisrine, Just stopped by to give you the tips you asked about. My rice wrappers were in English – in addition to soaking the rice wrapper in a bowl of warm water you should lay it out on a wet tea towel and blot at it until it becomes sticky. This really helped at making them 'hold' together.

elra — 06/02/2010 @ 2:04 am

The quinoi topping for this crumble is really unique and sound healthy, yet still delicious.

Dana — 06/02/2010 @ 5:32 am

What a good way to use quinoa!

Caffettiera — 06/02/2010 @ 12:35 pm

I am happy to hear I am not the only one spending the extra holidays by cleaning and decluttering the house. I am not a cleaning addict, and I have very little time, but the house looks much more welcoming when it is not too cluttered.
    I also love the cobbler idea! I make crumble quite often, but I have to include much more butter to make it work. I can see that the quinoa instead, being naturally crunchy and nutty, will need much less. Great idea, thanks for sharing!

Emily — 06/02/2010 @ 2:14 pm

Wow, I've made about three batches or rhubarb cobbler lately with a very unhealthy butter filled oatmeal crust, I'll have to try your Quinoa crust. I not only have a Costco bag (read: huge!) of Quinoa but also agave syrup from Costco. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I can't wait to try it!

Bridgett — 06/02/2010 @ 5:01 pm

I love coming to your blog because you are so creative with the flavors that I love. The strawberries would be amazing but I am impressed with the quinoa topping. That must have been a delicious twist. How delicious.

Nisrine Merzouki — 06/03/2010 @ 12:01 am

Reeni, thanks so much for the helpful tips:)

Patricia — 06/04/2010 @ 9:16 am

Magnifique ton crumble de fraises. Très réussi, un vrai délice…
    QUant à l'huile d'Argen, tu me tente beaucoup… Le souci c'est que c'est très cher … Mais j'ai envie d'essayer… Je ne savais pas que c'était la même huile pour la cuisine et pour le corps…
    Merci de ta visite, je découvre ton magnifique blog.
    Bon week-end en Floride
    Patricia – La Table de Pénélope

Cara — 06/14/2010 @ 7:22 pm

wow – I usually love a topping loaded with oats but I bet the quinoa makes a wonderful texture!

Cara — 09/16/2010 @ 3:46 pm

I never got a chance to make this over the summer, but I am going to give it a shot with apples now that fall is here. Can't wait!