Persimmon Crisp Recipe

Oh persimmons, how gorgeous you are!

When I bought persimmons, I thought persimmon crisp. I love the simplicity of crumbles and I’m a huge fan of fruit desserts so I tend to make crumbles quite often. I’ve been making my crumble recipe with quinoa topping for a while but this time I opted for a classic crumbled dough topping.

When buying persimmons, be sure to pick ripe, soft ones. Unripe persimmons are astringent and feel a bit fuzzy in your mouth. Persimmons are very sweet when ripe, so you will need to sweeten them minimally when baking desserts. For sorbets, smoothies and other uncooked desserts, you may want to leave them unsweetened, and even add a few drops of lemon juice to counterbalance the sweetness.

In the ramekin above is how big I cut the persimmon pulp the first time I tried this recipe. The persimmon pieces hardened after they were baked. You basically want to prevent that from happening by chopping the pulp a lot smaller, almost to a puree consistency.

Persimmon and Cranberry Crumble Recipe

For the fruit

5 very ripe large Hachiya persimmons (substitute peaches)
1/3 cup cranberries (substitute another tart fruit such as blackberries)
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

For the topping

1 cup brown rice flour (or other flour)
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Cut the persimmons in half. Scoop out the pulp using a spoon and chop it finely on a cutting board. Place the persimmon pulp in a large mixing bowl and mix in the cranberries, honey and butter. Transfer to an 8-inch rimmed baking dish or individual ramekins.

For the topping combine all the dry ingredients for the topping in a medium bowl. Add the egg and butter. Mix with your fingers to crumble and form small dough pieces. Scatter the topping evenly on the fruit. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.

Serve warm or at room temperature with a scoop of vanilla or clove ice cream.

34 Responses to “Persimmon Crisp Recipe”

Nadji — 12/11/2010 @ 3:27 pm

Du kaki en crumble.Une idée qui me plait beaucoup.
    Ca doit être délicieux.
    Bon week end et à bientôt.

Peter M — 12/11/2010 @ 5:21 pm

This is a wonderful twist to the classic crisp. I love persimmons and the thought of them in a crisp has left me tres-hungry!

Angie's Recipes — 12/11/2010 @ 5:24 pm

wow This looks gorgeous! Never have crisp made with persimmon.

Zaatar — 12/11/2010 @ 5:31 pm

I have tried cooking and baking with persimmons but things somehow never really work out – I tried it in puddings and in a persimmon curry which, though tasty, were neither worth the trouble nor highlighted the persimmon particularly well. I think a simple recipe such as this one , where the persimmon maintains its qualities, is the way to go.

Helene — 12/11/2010 @ 8:22 pm

Thanks for the comment on my blog. You have a lovely blog and you pictures are amazin.

Reeni — 12/12/2010 @ 1:12 am

I've never had this juicy and delicious looking fruit before! This is the way I would love to try it!

Katie@Cozydelicious — 12/12/2010 @ 1:57 am

This looks fantastic! I never quite know what to do with persimmons. Your crisp is a great idea!

Bryan — 12/12/2010 @ 2:54 am

Give me a crisp or a crumble any day. Cakes, Pies, even chocolate can step aside for someting like this! Looks wonderful, I have never used persimmon.

MeetaK — 12/12/2010 @ 10:04 am

i absolutely adore persimmons and usually eat them as is. serving them as a crisp is absolutely fantastic – loving the idea!

Dimah — 12/12/2010 @ 2:42 pm

It looks absolutely fabulous!

adventuresomekitchen — 12/12/2010 @ 3:11 pm

Nisrine- this looks heavenly! I've yet to actually taste a persimmon- I'm hoping to do that over the next few weeks when we hit Paris- if I can find cranberries or some other tart fruit, I will try this!!
    Nice to meet you!

Kitchen Boffin — 12/12/2010 @ 5:08 pm

ur recipes here r quite interesting… stunning pictures too.. wow! instantly fell in love with ur site…

Pierre — 12/12/2010 @ 5:18 pm

je ne suis pas fan du kaki mais je mettrais bien des pêches !!!pierre

Jennie — 12/12/2010 @ 8:24 pm

Now that is what I call a fruit crumble! Persimmons are a favorite of mine and I can almost taste how delicious they are in this recipe! I love the idea of a quinoa crumble topping by the way!

Christine — 12/12/2010 @ 9:36 pm

This is a beautiful offering, Nisrine, and will make the perfect dessert for family at Christmas.

Tanvi@Sinfully Spicy — 12/12/2010 @ 10:05 pm

Hey there..this is just so so wonderful.I have tasted persimmon only once and it has a gorgeous texture..crisp is such a awesome idea with tang from fruit & richness from butter.

Sook — 12/13/2010 @ 12:39 am

I LOVE persimmon! What a great recipe. Definitely bookmarking this one! :)

Quay Po Cooks — 12/13/2010 @ 2:08 am

I love fruit crumble and have never made one with persimmons yet.
    This is definitely one to try. Looks delish and nice color combination!

Chow and Chatter — 12/13/2010 @ 3:28 am

looks amazing and great topping :-) hubby wants sumac chicken again!!!!!!!

Ben — 12/13/2010 @ 3:05 pm

I don't think I've ever had persimmons before. Now I'm intrigued with this delicious looking recipe. Lovely pictures!

Emily — 12/13/2010 @ 5:56 pm

This looks incredible! Persimmons are one of my very favorite winter fruits but I always just put them in salad, haven't tried baking with them. Can't wait to try this!

Sara — 12/13/2010 @ 5:58 pm

Nisrine, would you believe I have never baked with Persimmons! Your Persimmons crumble looks so good!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE — 12/13/2010 @ 6:28 pm

I don't often cook with persimmons–this is very inspiring!

We Are Not Martha — 12/13/2010 @ 6:34 pm

Oh wow, this looks sooo good. i've never baked with persimmon before but now I'm so tempted!

Sues

blackbookkitchendiaries — 12/13/2010 @ 9:17 pm

wow..what a pretty dessert! i love it. thanks for sharing this.

A Canadian Foodie — 12/14/2010 @ 6:51 pm

Clearly, I have never tasted a fresh persimmon. They have always tasted off putting to me, and definitely not sweet. But, I know they were not ripe. Will they ripen like a banana? Mine didn't seem to. How long will it take for them to ripen? I know there are different kinds, but have read so much about them and their flesh is so beautiful, I really would like to taste one, rips.

Jeanette — 12/15/2010 @ 3:23 am

This looks delicious and beautiful. I've never cooked persimmon, just eaten them fresh.

Cake Duchess — 12/17/2010 @ 2:46 am

I love persimmon and can't wait to try this recipe with some nice and ripe ones I have here. :)

Azita — 12/17/2010 @ 4:44 am

I adore persimmons and this dessert sounds delicious!

Sanura — 12/18/2010 @ 12:34 am

Using Persimmons is a very creative idea. I brought a couple a few weeks ago. They became ripe over time. Luckily, I cut them to pieces before they went bad, and they're in the freezer now. I've never brought them before.

Sophie — 12/18/2010 @ 9:16 am

Waw!! Your kaki aka persimon gf crumble looks like a real winner!

MMMMMM,..I love to serve my hot crumbles with hot custard!

Adrienne — 01/03/2011 @ 12:49 am

Mmm I've been looking for a good persimmon recipe. One that doesn't have natural ingredients. Thanks!

Amy — 11/16/2012 @ 12:22 pm

This week I gathered some ripe persimmons from my backyard tree and made this (with blackberries). It was great!! Thanks!! The whole family enjoyed it and I will be making it again.

Emma — 12/14/2012 @ 10:00 am

Made these last night! It was a hit! We all loved it: not too sweet, but not too tart either!