Gluten-Free Quinoa Flake Pancakes

First times are exciting but subsequent times can be as well with the right attitude. Remember the first time you watched your mother make pancakes and the thrill you experienced from discovering that those heavenly rounds are made from batter; that batter is made from eggs, flour and milk; that heat can transform liquids into solids and solids into liquids. Remember how that shook your world forever. That’s why I believe pancakes, cakes, pies and such are meant to be approached with a fascinated attitude that’s filled with wonder every single time because they are the source of so much joy.

I love how versatile pancake batter is. It can be used for waffles without any modifications and a host of other treats with a few modifications. This pancake recipe was originally a waffle recipe I saw on Lauren’s blog and liked right away because of how good it looked and the nutritious ingredients it contained.

Quinoa Flake Pancakes

Adapted from Celiac Teen

Makes 8 pancakes

. 2 eggs, separated
. 1/3 cup applesauce
. 1/2 tsp vanilla
. 1 1/2 cups milk
. 1 cup millet flour (originally 1/4 cup millet flour, 1/4 cup tapioca flour,
1/2 cup sorghum flour)
. 1 cup quinoa flakes
. 2 tbsp brown sugar
. 1/2 tsp baking powder (originally 2 tsps)
. 1/2 tsp cinnamon
. 1/4 tsp salt

. Mix together egg yolks, applesauce and vanilla in a medium bowl.
. Add milk.
. Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until moist.
. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until peaks form.
. Fold 1/2 of the egg whites into the batter. Fold in the other half.
. Preheat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Spray it with cooking spray. Ladle the batter onto the pan and brown on both sides. To make waffles, simply cook batter on waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Serve with a lots of maple syrup!

I adopted Lauren through Adopt a gluten-free blogger.

P.S. Shout outs to these wonderful bloggers: Cara, Velva, Monique, and Kalyn.

18 Responses to “Gluten-Free Quinoa Flake Pancakes”

My Little Expat Kitchen — 02/04/2011 @ 1:27 pm

This is a great recipe Nisrine! Even though I don't usually eat gluten-free food I am tempted to try this because I love quinoa flakes.
    Magda

RamblingTart — 02/04/2011 @ 4:37 pm

Hi Nisrine! Thank you so much for visiting my blog. It's lovely to meet you! :-) I love the unique combination of grains in these pancakes! The texture alone must make them really stand out. :-)

Lauren — 02/04/2011 @ 5:21 pm

These looks amazing, I too like the ingredients. Have you tried Purely Elizabeth gluten free mixes? yum.

Angie's Recipes — 02/04/2011 @ 7:18 pm

I have never had a quinoa pancake….this one looks really tempting and delicious!

Bryan — 02/04/2011 @ 7:35 pm

You just gotta love a good pancake! Sounds great, I am not familiar with quinoa flakes though. I'll have to look for them

1000+1 — 02/04/2011 @ 9:06 pm

simply yum!!

Chow and Chatter — 02/05/2011 @ 12:59 am

wow great pancakes and a nice treat for someone on a gluten free diet also healthy

Barbara Bakes — 02/05/2011 @ 2:14 am

I love Lauren too. She alway shares great recipes that most would never know they were gluten free. Your pancakes look scrumptious.

Kerstin — 02/05/2011 @ 5:14 am

What unique and healthy pancakes – they sound like the perfect way to start the day!

Magic of Spice — 02/06/2011 @ 4:28 am

Such a wonderful recipe, these look delicious and boast of such healthy ingredients…lovely

Velva — 02/06/2011 @ 4:04 pm

Pancakes remain one of my favorite foods. Your special gluten-free is a really delicious alternative to traditional pancakes. Awesome!

Velva

P.S. Thanks for the shout-out :-)

A Canadian Foodie — 02/06/2011 @ 7:19 pm

Nisrine!
    I love your little comparison to fist times… I never get tired of changing things up and trying a little something different when I am working in the kitchen to please family or friends… with family, nutrition is always at the forefront of my mind.
    This is a perfectly lovely recipe for that!

sophiesfoodiefiles — 02/10/2011 @ 6:35 pm

MMMMMMMMM,….I also love to use quinoa flakes! they are so easy to use & yummie!

Your quinoa flakes & millet pancakes look wonderfully!

Eliana — 02/10/2011 @ 10:03 pm

I would have never thought of using Quinoa for pancakes but it sounds like a great idea. These look delicious.

sweet artichoke — 02/11/2011 @ 8:29 am

It sounds like delicious pancakes! I really enjoy gluten-free food, it give a lightness feeling which is very pleasant!

Priyanka — 02/12/2011 @ 4:27 am

It looks amazing and tempting and i love the look :)

Anonymous — 02/28/2011 @ 2:11 am

Thank God for your blog! my son is GF, and I discovered millet is the closest grain nutritionally to wheat, so that's what i try to bake with, or quinoa or buckwheat. it is so hard to find millet recipes for some reason. Can't wait to do these pancakes. The pic won his approval.

Nisrine Merzouki — 03/01/2011 @ 1:35 am

Millet is a wonderful grain, so forgiving and easy to bake with. I hope your son likes the taste as much as the picture. Thank you for the feedback.