Strawberry Buckwheat Cookies

I don’t know about you but I have to think long and hard before baking with buckwheat. It’s not a flour that comes to my mind easily when I’m contemplating making cookies or cake. I have made buckwheat flatbread and buckwheat crepes, and both times I used another type of flour in combination with buckwheat. In these cookies I used only buckwheat and mixed it with strawberry jam to soften the taste. Then I topped each cookie with more jam for extra fruitiness.

Enjoy!

Strawberry Buckwheat Cookies

Makes 18 cookies

2 ¼ cups buckwheat flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder

2 eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup and 1 tablespoon strawberry jam (plus more for filling the cookies)*
3 tablespoons agave syrup or honey
¾ stick unsalted butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a mixing bowl combine the buckwheat, salt and baking powder. Whisk the rest of the ingredients together in a separate bowl and add them to the flour. Stir well to obtain homogeneous cookie dough.

Form small balls of dough and place them on the prepared sheet. Dig a small well in the center of each cookie using your finger. Fill each well with ¼ teaspoon jam.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.

*I used Polaner fruit-juice-sweetened jam

21 Responses to “Strawberry Buckwheat Cookies”

Eliana — 02/15/2011 @ 4:46 pm

I have never baked with buckwheat before. But I certainly will soon as these cookies look lovely.

Jennifurla — 02/15/2011 @ 7:19 pm

Yum, I have never cooked with this before. They look lovely.

sophiesfoodiefiles — 02/15/2011 @ 10:45 pm

MMMMM,…I really love using buckwheat in my cooking & cookies baking too!

Your strawberry jam filled cookies look amazing & lovely to nibble on,…mmmmmmm!!!

Nadia — 02/16/2011 @ 1:14 am

these look really cute! I want to try out different flours for baking, will try buckwheat 1st. :)

Couscous & Consciousness — 02/16/2011 @ 2:17 am

These look gorgeous, Nisrine. I have never tried using buckwheat, but I definitely want to try now.
    Sue :-)

Heather — 02/16/2011 @ 2:23 am

I've been gluten-free for 7 years now, and I've eaten my share of buckwheat, but I've never baked with buckwheat flour before. Thanks for the challenge and the recipe!

Christine — 02/16/2011 @ 2:59 am

I know buckwheat flour has its challenges and can taste and feel gritty. So these little cookies are a wonderful surprise. I can't wait to try them.

Reeni — 02/16/2011 @ 3:46 am

I never baked with buckwheat Nisrine but I like the looks of these beauties! Just lovely with the jam!

My Little Space — 02/16/2011 @ 4:56 am

What a lovely treat! Buckwheat flour, I think I still have a packet of it. Thanks for the recipe. Hope you're having a gteat day.
    Cheers, Kristy

peachkins — 02/16/2011 @ 5:04 am

Did you get a new header? I love it!

Diana's Cocina — 02/16/2011 @ 5:07 pm

These little gems are lovely ~ They could easly become my favorite!

Lucy — 02/16/2011 @ 6:22 pm

I've never tried baking with buckwheat flour before but judging by the results I've been missing out! The cookies look delicious :)

Barbara — 02/16/2011 @ 7:23 pm

Interesting, Nisrine. I love buckwheat pancakes, so why wouldn't I love these?

foodwanderings — 02/16/2011 @ 10:11 pm

This is really nice Nisrine. I never bakes with buckwheat before as well and now am intrigued. Always see it at wholefoods and tempted now I got an excuse to get it. BTW, if you saw my last post I will discuss it w/you on twitter..I got a question.

Gillian — 02/17/2011 @ 4:53 am

Oh yum, maybe just maybe I'll try this. I'm no baker, but these look yummy. xo

A Canadian Foodie — 02/18/2011 @ 4:29 am

These look WAY to healthy to be tasty – haha. I find buckwheat to be very bitter and rather heavy. Was that an influence on this recipe?

Nisrine Merzouki — 02/18/2011 @ 11:25 pm

The jam mixed in the cookie dough in this recipe softens the bitterness a little but I guess you have to like the bitterness of buckwheat if you're going to bake with it.

Magic of Spice — 02/19/2011 @ 6:23 am

They are so cute! I have never really used buckwheat in my cooking and I imagine the jam balances the flavor and texture beautifully :)

debbie koenig — 02/22/2011 @ 1:48 am

Yum! I make killer blueberry buckwheat pancakes, so there's flour in my pantry right.this.minute. Off to consider…

Luana Mercy — 07/14/2011 @ 1:14 am

I think buckwheat is an acquired taste. This was my first time baking with it. The dough looked great and the cookies turned out well but not used to the buckwheat taste.
    Thanks for posting, they were fun to try.

Nisrine — 07/14/2011 @ 1:39 am

Luana, thank you for the kind comment and for giving these cookies a try. Such is buckwheat, you either love it or you don't. It is an acquired taste though, like you said. I'm still in the process of acquiring it too.