Whole Wheat Apple Cake

I’d like to be able to say that I have finally had the time today to change the age on my profile from 32 to 33 but I’m afraid that doesn’t sound very credible as doing so doesn’t take more than a few seconds. I rather willingly ignored it, believing a year didn’t matter, or so I tried to convince myself. Call it denial. Call it a white lie. It’s a little bit of both. I never thought in a million years I would lie about my age, even by omission. What decent person does that after all. Isn’t that something only someone really really old and desperate, or somebody trying to seduce a much younger lover would do —which I’m absolutely, totally, completely not trying to do. Turning 30 did not faze me the least bit but 33, boy thirty-three, has stirred my peace. It simply seemed like a big number, one that almost qualified as mid-thirties and no longer as early thirties.

True to form, I found courage and consolation in cake as I always do when overwhelmed by life’s downpour of shaking events on me. I made an apple cake similar to the one my mom makes. Every bite felt like a face-lift, a balm on my aging, wrinkling body.

Glad I got this off my chest.

Sigh. Silence. Sigh. Silence.

Whole Wheat Apple Cake Recipe

1 stick (8tbsps) unsalted butter, softened
½ cup and 2 tablespoons agave syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract                                                                                                                                                                                                  3 large eggs
1 cup and 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon                                                                                                                                                                                    1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large apples, cored, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8- to 9-inch pan with parchment paper.

Using an electric mixer mix the butter, agave syrup, and vanilla until well combined. Add the eggs and mix again.

Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl. Add them to the moist mixture. Mix again until the batter is smooth and homogenous.

Fold in the apple cubes.

Pour the batter in the prepared pan. Bake until the cake is set and slightly browned, about 35 minutes. Cool before unmolding.

27 Responses to “Whole Wheat Apple Cake”

Peter M — 03/05/2011 @ 1:56 pm

'Tis a fine looking apple cake…what time's coffee on again?

Bryan — 03/05/2011 @ 3:13 pm

Funny! I understand your thinking though
    The cake looks Awesome!

Fimère — 03/05/2011 @ 3:20 pm

les pommes apportent un moelleux à la texture qui est irrésistible, j'adore
    bonne journée

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate — 03/05/2011 @ 5:32 pm

Happy Birthday! You can easily be like my husband and forget about the age, he was 38 for a year before it and two years after :). It is true that age is all in your mind. My MIL is 87 and still smokes, drinks, and is very much interested in life!

Lady Heather — 03/05/2011 @ 5:45 pm

YUMMY!!!! Thanks for sharing that! :D
    By the way, you'll get through. I'm 34 and have survived that birthday. I really can't believe I'm that age. I still feel more like 22. :)

The Simple Girl — 03/05/2011 @ 5:54 pm

Yummy! Love your blog! :)

Nisrine Merzouki — 03/05/2011 @ 6:00 pm

Peter, coffee is all the time, anytime.

Lael, I'm planning to stick with 33 for a couple of years at least.

Lady, that's wonderful. I feel like I'm in my early twenties too, sometimes in my teens even. It's all in the head.

Elra's coking and baking — 03/05/2011 @ 6:04 pm

I really like your version of apple cake using whole wheat flour. Looks moist and delish!

Lucy — 03/05/2011 @ 7:36 pm

Ooh I love a good apple cake and this one looks great! And surely a health food with the whole wheat flour and fruit? ;)

Dimah — 03/05/2011 @ 9:03 pm

That cake looks so amazingly good!

Karin van D. — 03/05/2011 @ 10:46 pm

That looks delicious. Happy birthday!

lacaffettierarosa — 03/05/2011 @ 11:02 pm

Happy birthday Nisrine!! it is so funny, we have those preconception about how a X-years old should behave or feel .. And most of them are totally ridiculous, isn't it? Seems like yesterday that I was lying to my new friends and telling them i was 'almost' fourteen six months before the fact, a spell of time which seemed like forever then…

Fresh Local and Best — 03/06/2011 @ 5:49 am

I think you should be proud to say you are 33, you look so good! Happy birthday! This is a terrific cake to celebrate with.

My Little Space — 03/06/2011 @ 11:49 am

Hmmm…yumm… the cake looks so inviting. Bookmarked this for later use. Thanks for sharing. Happy weekend to you.
    Cheers, Kristy

Nisrine Merzouki — 03/06/2011 @ 2:05 pm

Fresh, Caffetiera,Karin– My birthday was a couple of months ago but I just changed my age on the blog yesterday.

Mary — 03/06/2011 @ 5:41 pm

This really sounds delicious. It is a lovely cake that would be a perfect end to any meal. As you get older you'll find that the birthdays you find upsetting are rarely the ones conventional wisdom leads you to believe they'll be. Some hurt, others don't. Bottom line is they are just numbers and you're still around to celebrate :-). Have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Kayla — 03/06/2011 @ 5:53 pm

I will be making this this week so I can eat the whole thing myself!

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl

Mademoiselle Poirot — 03/06/2011 @ 9:09 pm

Oh Nisrine, I sooo know how you feel – I'm not even going to tell you how old I am ;-) That cake looks so good and would make me forget my age or anything else any day – yum :-D Bisous & Love from London xo

Oh, My Darling — 03/07/2011 @ 12:27 am

Yum, this looks so delicious! I'm secretly hoping that the whole-wheat bit means it's also very healthy.

Reeni — 03/07/2011 @ 2:28 am

Happy Birthday my dear friend Nisrine! Hope you had a joyful day! Your apple cake looks delightful! I completely understand about the age issue…

Jennifer (Delicieux) — 03/07/2011 @ 3:06 am

Nisrine your cake looks delicious! Happy belated birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day. Don't forget, age is only a number. It's how you feel inside that counts!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — 03/07/2011 @ 1:28 pm

Well, I hear you and I feel your pain, that's why I stopped counting after 28. For some reason that just seemed like a good age to me, one I could stay at for years to come, so I have, at least in my mind. :-)

Jane — 03/07/2011 @ 8:07 pm

Nisrine, this cake looks really, really good. I can't get enough of new apple cake recipes. Just never get tired of them! I hope you had a fabulous birthday!

Simply Life — 03/07/2011 @ 10:38 pm

oh my gosh! what an incredible cake! wow, I would love a slice of that!

Magic of Spice — 03/09/2011 @ 4:32 pm

Your 30's will be amazing I am sure…Funny what ages seem to bother us, I only had a problem with 25…odd :)
    Your cake looks amazing!

the constant hunger — 03/11/2011 @ 12:36 pm

I am going to turn 30 in a couple of months and I am dreading it. Luckily I have a fantastic recipe for apple cake that will calm me down.

El — 03/30/2013 @ 6:45 am

Happy birthday to you. The cake looks magnificent!