My Favorite Marrakesh Addresses

Friends and readers often ask me to recommend places to eat at and visit in Marrakesh and I finally got to writing this post to share some of my favorite places. A couple have been favorites of mine from when I still lived there. Others are new favorites. I will add new places every time I visit and fall in love with a new eatery or fun spot.

Moroccan Restaurants

Stylia
Located in the old médina, it is one of the oldest restaurants with excellent Moroccan food.
Info

Dar al Fassia
This is one one of the very first restaurants I’ve eaten at when I moved to Marrakesh in the early 90s.It has two different locations and offers wonderful traditional food in a cozy Moroccan décor.
www.alfassia.com

International Restaurants

Crystal
Modern Mediterranean flavors in an elegant, upscale environment.

Fouquet’s
A franchise of Paris’s Fouquet’s featuring French refinement applied to local cuisine.
Info

Pasta di Luigi
Located on the second floor of the train station, it offers traditional Italian dishes such as pasta and antipasti in an indoor and outdoor setting.
Info

Great Food for a Great Price

Bejguenni
Down-to-earth grill popular among the Marrakchis for decades and rendered famous among tourists by Le Guide du Routard. It features mixed grill platters and fresh sandwiches, salads and harira.
Info

La Grillardière
Laid back atmosphere, friendly service and great salads, pizza, sandwiches and grilled meats.

Vegetarian and Vegan

Earth Cafe
100% vegan menu in a gorgeously earthy environment.

Moroccan Pastries

Amandine
Delicately made and flavored cornes de gazelles, brewats, fekkas and more.

Saveurs d’Orient
Large selection of exquisite traditional Moroccan pastries.
Info

Amoud

Fine Moroccan cookies.
www.amoud.ma

International Pastries

Amandine
Excellent quality mille-feuilles, éclairs, gâteaux au chocolat and viennoiserie along with coffee, tea and ice cream can be found at this bakery in a street right off the city center.

Krusti
Outstanding buttery croissants, petits pains au chocolat, gourmet cakes…at this new pâtisserie in Guéliz.
Info

Paul
Franchise of the fameuse French boulangerie-pâtisserie established in 1889 featuring exquisite viennoiserie, breads and French pastries. It is also a café-restaurant.
Info

Amoud

Lovely French-inspired baked goods.
www.amoud.ma

16 Café

Lovely, lovely cafe in the center of town with outstanding pastries (perhaps the best éclairs and canelés in town) and original ice cream flavors. Great sandwiches for lunch too.
16 Cafe

Family Fun

Terres d’Amanar
Acres of stunningly beautiful nature. Tagines alfresco and lots of fun activities including zip wire, archery, trekking, swimming and more.

Oasiria
Water park with multiple pools including children’s and heated pools, water slides, restaurants and gardens.

Kawkab Jeux
Playground with slides, swings, games and a café right in the center of town.

Almazar Centre Commercial
Three-level mall with shopping, dining, children’s play center and more. Carrefour is situated on the underground floor. The frist floor hosts stores including many international brands. The third floor has the food court and a large play area for children.

Where to Stay

Wen it comes to lodging in Marrakech, the possibilities are amazing. Whether you want comfort or luxury, centrally located hotels, quaint riads or picturesque bungalows in the heart of the Palmeraie, you’ll find it all.

Below are two great sites with pictures to help you make your selection:

www.marochotels.net

12 Responses to “My Favorite Marrakesh Addresses”

Kalyn — 05/18/2011 @ 1:47 am

How I wish I could go there and eat some of the food in the photo. I did go to Morocco once (only for a day as part of a cruise) and I was fascinated by it!

Anonymous — 05/18/2011 @ 1:57 am

الله يعطيك الصحة، واصلي أنا من الناس لي متبعين الموقع ديالك.

Keep up the good work, And We All Love Kech!!!

Nisrine Merzouki — 05/18/2011 @ 3:15 am

Shoukran ;)

Julia — 05/18/2011 @ 5:06 am

I just know we'll finally make it to Marrakech one day – hopefully sooner rather than later – so posts like this are really useful. Good to be able to walk around with a mission to find somewhere sometimes, rather than just aimless wandering. :)

Liz — 05/18/2011 @ 6:37 pm

Missed all these places, oh well, I guess that's a reason to go back! BTW I really loved all the colorful, intricately decorated marzipan cookies there.

Shulie — 05/19/2011 @ 1:08 am

This is a great travel piece Nisrine!! Many people I know travel to. Marrakesh seems so exotic and wonderful! I can visualize it. Love the pic!!

Nisrine Merzouki — 05/19/2011 @ 1:22 am

Definitely a great reason to go back, Liz!!

amnon froum israel — 05/19/2011 @ 9:53 pm

I'm writing about Moroccan food …… I really love your blog

gfe--gluten free easily — 05/20/2011 @ 1:38 am

I wonder how many folks you'll convince to book a trip with this post, Nisrine. ;-) You're so succinct with your wisdom, too. I admire that greatly!

Shirley

Magic of Spice — 05/21/2011 @ 3:07 pm

I would love to be able to visit :)

Aleena — 05/26/2011 @ 11:12 am

Shoukran bezaaaf – Thank you very much :)
    Im planning to visit Marrakech this October in 8 days – and thereafter visit my family in Tangier and Al-Hoceima..
    I can definitely use your recommendations .. but I would ask you if can recommend a Hammam-place were we can get some massage and good wellness for a good price and of course where the sex is separated :)
    I really hope you can help me :)
    Thank you in advance from Aleena from Denmark :D

Anonymous — 07/08/2011 @ 10:17 am

May I add to your list Kaowa ???? A snack & juice bar , ideally located in front of jardin Majorelle , that rides the "healthy,fresh&ready" trend. Daily selection of fresh salads , soups
    & wraps . Amazing choice of fruits & vegetable smoothies prepared before your eyes. Ideal for vegans.
    Beautiful sunny terrasse where one can sit and relax before or after visiting the garden. It's part of a conceptstore 33RueMajorelle that regroups a selection
    of the best of what can be found in the world of fashion and homeware in Morocco and carries more then 40 designers and craftmen . Recent visitors John Malkovich , Robert Duffy ( Max jacobs ) & Pierre Bergé who lives a few babouche away ;)
    Facebook.com/33RueMajorelle