Kale Smoothie Recipe

This one is another way I’m learning to love kale. I had some leftover from last week’s tabbouleh and blended it into a smoothie with blueberries and banana. It was delicious and best of all, blended well into the mix and was barely recognizable. I thought I’d share this smoothie with you in case you too are developing a liking for kale. We could all add more greens to our life, couldn’t we?

This smoothie may not look green but it has a whopping full cup of kale. The anthocyanins in blueberries give them a strong pigmentation that covers the color of  other ingredients. Not that we mind; a purple smoothie is a gorgeous smoothie to sip on.

On another note, I have finally received my master’s degree (in education with an emphasis on language teaching — no surprises, I haven’t switched to biochemistry midway). I have been done since April but wanted to wait to have my diploma in hand before really saying so. I’m so happy to be finished with  school forever and ever and ever and ever. It’s a great feeling. Hopefully, my incessant griping about homework, deadlines and feeling overwhelmed will be over, and this blog will be a whine-free zone once again. Wait, has it ever been?

KALE, BLUEBERRY AND BANANA SMOOTHIE RECIPE

Yield: 1 LARGE SERVING

Total Time: 5 MIN

Ingredients:

1 cup almond milk or skim milk

1 cup chopped kale

½ cup frozen blueberries

½ banana

3 ice cubes

Directions:

Using an electric blender, blend all of the ingredients until perfectly smooth.

Pour into a tall glass.

Enjoy immediately.

Other Kale Recipes:

Kale Tabbouleh (Dinners & Dreams)
Kale, Bacon and Cheese Breakfast Casserole (Kalyn’s Kitchen)
Braised Kale with Pancetta (Ruhlman)
Baked Kale Chips (Smitten Kitchen)
Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup (The Pioneer Woman)

12 Responses to “Kale Smoothie Recipe”

Angie@Angie's Recipes — 05/26/2012 @ 12:42 pm

Can you believe that I have never had a smoothie made with kale??? What have I missed! Love the earthy tone of this drink.

Nisrine — 05/26/2012 @ 12:58 pm

You won’t regret making it, I promise.

Amber — 05/27/2012 @ 9:30 am

I’m so glad you tried this! I have been putting kale in my smoothies for the past few years. I like to put in lettuce, cucumber, spinach, and dandelion greens also. And wild seasonal greens like chickweed, sorrel, or miner’s lettuce. I have a vitamix blender so I can get the greens pretty smooth. You could combine the kale smoothie with the avocado smoothie for a real yummy and healthy treat. I find them to be even more of an energy boost than coffee. :)

Nisrine — 05/27/2012 @ 11:47 am

I love the sound of kale with avocado in a smoothie. It must be really creamy and delicious. Thank you, Amber.

Paula — 05/27/2012 @ 2:38 pm

Congratulations !

Nisrine — 05/27/2012 @ 5:43 pm

Thank you, Paula! You are so kind. :)

Eha — 05/27/2012 @ 6:40 pm

Most importantly, warmest congratulations on your Masters! Wonderful! That said, Nisrine: I can assure you you will WANT to study again! And find huge joy in it and from it. Shall we elegantly say I have quite some years on you and I would not feel satisfied were I not doing a course somewhere! Except, later, it may be in the form of single subjects or courses and within a much wider spectrum. So sayeth ‘honorary older sister’ :) !

Oh, shall definitely try that smoothie, even if a have to substitute another leafy vegetable to try it!

Gaz — 05/28/2012 @ 3:48 am

Well done Nisrine! A couple of years ago I also completed a Masters in Education (focus on Applied Lingusitics) whilst juggling work and home life. When I was done I remember feeling ‘light’ with the prospect of freed-up time ahead to fill up with fun stuff like cooking!!

Nisrine — 05/29/2012 @ 3:37 am

Eha – you’re probably right about single courses but nothing more involved, for sure. :)

Gaz – congrats to you too, though coming a couple of years late!

Barbara — 05/29/2012 @ 5:56 am

Congratulations, Nisrine! You must be very pleased.
    I love your smoothie idea…

Kati Mora — 05/29/2012 @ 8:55 pm

This smoothie looks like a great afternoon pick-me-up. I imagine its also a great way to boost your daily fiber intake given the ingredients it contains. Yum!

Bella — 06/12/2012 @ 12:30 pm

Congrats on your Master’s! My little bro is working toward his doctorate, so I know a bit of how much work is involved.

I happened upon your blog thru Kalyn’s Kitchen. What a gem this is! Your recipes completely drew me in! Healthy AND flavors I love! Thank you for taking time to share a part of yourself.