Breakfast at La Mamounia

Marrakesh doesn’t lack in pretty establishments but few are as iconic, as legendary, as old as La Mamounia. Presidents have stayed there. Actors, directors and singers too.

The breakfast buffet was of royal proportions. My pictures don’t do justice to how beautiful and copious it was.

I ate yogurt and cheese.

Then the most delicious muesli I’ve ever had.

Salmon crêpes and baked egg.

Fresh, buttery pastries with coffee and carrot juice.

Msemmen with amlou, khlii msemmen, beignet and harcha with mint tea.

And fresh fruit to finish.

Then I marveled at the beauty of the place for a while…

before heading to the gardens.

Sunday brunch at La Mamounia is quite lovely too.

Info:
Avenue Bab Jdid Marrakech, Marrakesh 40000, Morocco
Tel: 011-212-5-24 38 86 00
www.mamounia.com

P.S. A huge thank you to everyone who took the time to leave a comment on my previous post. Your words were kind and heartwarming. I feel very lucky. Bisous

18 Responses to “Breakfast at La Mamounia”

Nuts about food — 07/10/2012 @ 2:38 am

Thank you for reminding me of a lovely day I spent at La Mammounia many years ago. And congratulations for the great news!

Eileen — 07/10/2012 @ 3:56 am

Good morning, Nisrine! I have never commented before, but first off, congratulations on the soon to be baby arrival! Very delighted to hear such wonderful news. God bless you and your family!. I also wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your site! Everything from the clarity of the pictures, to the most scrumptious recipes!! I really enjoyed the pics today on your breakfast! I live in NJ and wish you all the best!!

Thanks again for your blog!!!

Eileen

Eha — 07/10/2012 @ 4:38 am

Oh, Nisrine – not only have I always wanted to go to Morocco, but my dream has been to visit the Mamounia. So thank you so much for the beautiful photos :) ! I believe the late Winston Churchill used to spend a lot of time there painting! Hhmm – that was quite a breakfast, beautiful lady: OK, the first plate for bub, the second and last for Mum-to-be – you mean you had all the rest too [am softly laughing, of course!].

Nisrine — 07/10/2012 @ 5:41 am

Nuts about Food, La Mamounia has undergone major renovation 4 or 5 of years ago so part of it may look unfamiliar now, but it’s still as gorgeous as ever.

Nisrine — 07/10/2012 @ 5:41 am

Eileen, thank you so much for commenting and for your sweet words. So happy you enjoy my blog. All the best to you too!

Nisrine — 07/10/2012 @ 5:45 am

Eha, it was all for the bub, of course. :) No, seriously, except for the muesli, all I did was sample a little bit of everything.

Monique — 07/10/2012 @ 6:39 am

It is gorgeous..Lap of Luxury:)

Jeannene Diaz — 07/10/2012 @ 3:32 pm

How lucky I am to have stumbled onto you. you brighten my day, and your infomation like this one is overwhelming wonderful. I never guessed that that part of the world was sooo beautiful.

Sandra — 07/10/2012 @ 5:56 pm

What a flood of nostalgic memories – and inspiration, as usual from your well-presented, organized and delicious web site – this particular issue brought for me! The staff with tremendous generosity, shared an incredible evening to my group of journalist as we visited the property on an architecture tour. Breakfast on the terrace pictured, is a memory etched in my fondest thoughts! Thank you for such delightful evoking of pure joy and awakening my passionate cognizance of my love for Morocco, always so near the surface. It’s a mini-visit each time I savor your blog, such a delight that is much appreciated!

Nisrine — 07/11/2012 @ 6:52 am

Wonderful that this post is bringing back happy memories. Thank you for the sweet comment, Sandra!

Milly — 07/11/2012 @ 6:52 am

Your beautiful photos made me long for Morocco–especially the food! I was in Marrakech last June, but not LaMamounia. I love your blog, your recipes, your zest for life, and feel so fortunate to have found Dinners & Dreams. Congrats on the new baby, and I hope you don’t get too busy to keep writing!

Nisrine — 07/11/2012 @ 11:34 am

Milly, thank you so much!! I’m happy to hear that.

Oriane — 07/13/2012 @ 6:35 am

Just finished my virtual stroll in the gardens and have thorougly enjoyed the virtual breakfast:) I’m starving now!
    What a grand place!

Nuts about food — 07/18/2012 @ 3:33 am

I think I had heard from my mother, who used to stay there sometimes, that it had already gone under major renovations when I went in the Nineties. But I am sure it has maintained its charm and beauty.

DH — 07/30/2012 @ 5:30 am

Hi Nisrine
    I was just searching your site for how to make Turkish coffee (which despite the name I understand is drunk all over the middle east). Can you help? I can’t get the foam right! I’ve tried spooning it out then pouring the coffee in the cup, and tried just pouring the coffee from the small pot, but neither has the foam head that you get when you order it in restaurants…
    Thanks!

Nisrine — 07/30/2012 @ 6:24 pm

DH – I think you’re supposed to pour the coffee into the cup and let it sit undisturbed until the grounds fall to the bottom. If you stir the coffee the foam will disappear. I hope this helps.

Let me know how your coffee experimentation goes.

DH — 08/01/2012 @ 8:16 am

Thanks Nisrine. I’m afraid it’s still eluding me. I’ve tried just pouring the coffee. I never stir it in the cup. No one wants to drink coffee grounds-yuk! But there’s still no foam on top. Oh well, it still tastes good :)

Zeina — 02/22/2014 @ 5:29 am

My recent stay at La Mamounia was a treasured experience. I absolutely had to take a day off from touring just to enjoy lounging in the hotel. Loved Marrakesh!