Among the essentials, every kitchen should have are a cheaper yet good set of knives, which includes a bread knife. Quality bread knives can cut through tough loaves of bread, and also help you make sandwiches by cutting thin slices of tomatoes.
But with so many options out there, it can be challenging to find the best bread slicing knife in the market. Well, we’ve cut the process for you by reviewing bread knives that are worth every penny after a detailed analysis of user reviews, constant testing, and so on.
The Best Bread Knives on the Market Reviewed
1: Victorinox Swiss Army 10-1/4″ Serrated Bread Knife
- A COUNTERTOP ESSENTIAL: As the master of your kitchen, you deserve the right tools to express your creativity. Designed to enhance the slicing techniques used by professional pastry chefs and bakers, this knife brings palatable mastery to any kitchen.
- FIT FOR ALL TASKS: Victorinox kitchen knives are dexterous, ergonomic and universally adaptable. From classic styles to modern looks our premium-quality blades are an exceptional combination of quality, design, materials and craftsmanship for the value minded kitchen.
- EASY HANDLING: Inspired by our Fibrox Pro line, we've designed a contemporary, Swiss Classic textured handle with a non-slip grip -- even when wet. These exceptional knives are weighted and balanced for easy handling.
- A CUT ABOVE THE REST: Our superior lightweight Swiss stainless steel blades provide precision, stability, and accuracy. They are easy to clean, extremely sharp and the prefect gift for everyday use or the culinary professional.
- TRUSTED QUALITY: Made in Switzerland; Victorinox provides a lifetime guarantee against defects in material and workmanship.
Thin, sharp, and easy to hold, the Victorinox Swiss Army Serrated Bread Knife is a bread knife powerhouse that can easily slice through everything, from bread to cakes, fruits to vegetables.
One of the best-serrated bread knives in the market, this model is made by Swiss experts who have been in the business since 1884.
Designed for professionals who labor in the kitchen day in and day out, this product comes with a lifetime warranty against workmanship and material defects.
Plus, it has an ultrasharp edge and a non-slip ergonomic handle. Unlike most bread knives, this particular one is dishwasher safe, but its makers recommend hand washing it for the best care.
On the contrary, this product is serrated on one side and flat on the other, so it may be challenging to make straight cuts. However, looking at the bigger picture, it’s still a great bread slicing tool one can use in the kitchen.
2: Tojiro Bread Slicer 235mm F-737
- Fujiro (F part number) is a brand for international and limited routes such as knife specialty stores
- Size (total length): 14.8 inches (37.5 cm)
- Weight: 2.8 lbs (0.110 kg)
- Body: Stainless steel; Handle: Natural wood
- Made in Japan
Slender and simple, the Toji Bread Slicer is an affordable yet formidable bread knife made of a high-carbon stainless steel blade. It has a bendy thin blade that is optimal for delicate tasks such as cutting very thin slices of tomatoes.
If you’re looking for a cheap kitchen partner, this one is the best knife for cutting bread for you personally.
Because this bread slicer is made of excellent quality Japanese steel, this bread knife doesn’t require a lot of regular sharpening. It also has a nice wooden handle, which makes you feel like a samurai taking care of business.
Regarded by most as the best Japanese bread knife in the market, it will surely last a long time in your pantry as long as you clean and care for it well.
It should be noted that this bread knife is not ideal for heavy duty tasks like slicing a pumpkin in half. Plus, it is not dishwasher-safe. If you’re looking to use it for less taxing slicing however, it’s a pretty good kitchen partner.
Also Read: Best Paring Knives for 2022 Reviewed
3: Mercer Culinary Millennia Bread Knife, 10-Inch
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Knife is crafted with one-piece high-carbon Japanese steel for easy edge maintenance and long-lasting sharpness
- SUPERIOR DESIGN: Built to last ergonomic handle with textured finger points offers a non-slip grip with added comfort, durability, and safety
- BEST USE: The teeth on the wavy edge of the knife's blade easily slice through foods' crust or skin without tearing the soft inside. Ideal for slicing bread, angel food cake, meatloaf, fruits, and tomatoes
- EASY CARE: To maximize the performance and longevity of your Mercer knife, carefully wash cutlery by hand after each use with warm water and mild soap; rinse and dry completely with a soft towel. Do not place in dishwasher or submerge for long periods of time
- MERCER CULINARY MILLENNIA SERIES: Innovative features and unparalleled performance to meet the demands of today's professional chefs and home cooking enthusiasts
Don’t be fooled by its affordable price tag. The Mercer Culinary Millennia Bread Knife is a great quality bread knife made of the highest quality Japanese steel.
This entails that its blade is low maintenance, and easy to sharpen when needed.
With its ergonomic handle, slip-resistant textured finger points, and protective finger guard, it is specially designed with the user’s safety in mind.
Plus, this bread knife is NSF certified, meaning it’s tried and tested to be safe, of good quality, and has displayed great performance in the kitchen.
There are claims that this bread knife can be hard to clean though.
However, given its quality and affordability, spending a little more time to clean this kitchen tool shouldn’t be too much of a chore. It’s definitely the best serrated bread knife for those on a tight budget.
4: Mac Knife Superior Bread Knife, 10-1/2-Inch
- 2mm Blade, rust-resistant, exceptionally sharp, made out of high carbon and keeps the edge for a long time
- Pakka wood handle
- Hand wash is recommended Not dishwasher safe
- Made In Japan
Made with a thin, lightweight blade with razor-sharp edges, the Mac Knife Superior Bread Knife is a powerhouse bread knife that produces a smooth, clean-cut with each stroke.
Made in Japan, the brand is well known for making nicely balanced and ultra-sharp knives, and its bread knife is definitely proof of its standards for excellence.
The company also offers an impressive 25-year warranty upon initial purchase so that should instill your confidence in this particular model.
This kitchen tool is fit for a professional chef with its sharp serrations and ability to slice even the most delicate food items with light pressure and no squishing.
Plus, it has very sturdy edge retention so you don’t have to sharpen it every so often. To add to these great features, it is very well balanced so it’s easy to maintain control of this bread knife.
Some users have expressed how this knife is prone to rusting, so it’s important you handle it with care. If you’re in the market for a professional grade bread knife, and have the patience to take care of it though, this is definitely your best bet in the kitchen.
5: Wusthof Classic Bread Knife
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC SERIES – 10" Serrated Bread Knife with Full tang triple riveted synthetic polypropylene handles that resist fading, discoloration, heat and impact. The WÜSTHOF Classic Series has been our best-selling series for generations
- RAZOR SHARP – High Carbon Stainless Steel Blades, precisely cut with the latest state of the art technology for incredible sharpness and easy maintenance. WÜSTHOF kitchen knives are Hand Wash Only
- WÜSTHOF BREAD KNIFE – 10" Bread Knife slices through bread or baguettes with minimal crumbs. The serrations along the edge help guide the blade through tough crust without compressing the soft inside
- PRECISION FORGED – The Bread Knife is forged from a single block of High Carbon Stainless Steel and tempered to 58-degree HRC. The Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) yields a blade that is 20% sharper with twice the edge retention than previous models
- CENTURIES OF TRADITION – Family owned for seven generations, WÜSTHOF was founded in Solingen, Germany over 200 years ago. WÜSTHOF’s cutlery carries the Solingen name, a designation reserved for products that meet the strictest quality standards
Hailing from a brand that’s known to produce excellent quality kitchen knives for over two centuries, the Wusthof classic bread knife is a bestseller among professional chefs and home cooks alike.
Made with high carbon steel blades, this bread knife cuts with precision, impressive sharpness, and easy maintenance. Crafted from a single piece of chromium-molybdenum-vanadium steel, this bread knife has a classic design that means business.
This German bread knife is specially designed with a full bolster to protect the cook’s hand as well as provide some balance with every slice. It also has a comfortable grip, so your hand won’t hurt from using it regularly.
The icing on the cake is that this model is crafted with the company’s unique Precision Edge Technology (PEtec), meaning it’s 20% sharper than your average knife, with twice the edge retention making it one of our favorite bread knives.
The only real drawback for this bread knife is the price. If price is not an issue in your book (or kitchen), you should definitely consider having this bread knife as your kitchen partner. The pro’s love this model after all. Maybe you will, too.
Also Read: Best Santoku Knife
6: Cuisinart Electric Knife
- Set includes 2 high quality stainless steel blades. 1 for carving meat and the other for cutting bread
- The butcher block holding tray stores the knifes and motor base when not in use
- The ergonomically designed handle has a one-touch pressure-activated on/off trigger and safety lock
- Limited 3-year
- Included Components: Food Preparation;Electric Knives, Slicers, and Sharpeners;electric knives
A bestseller on Amazon, the Cuisinart Electric Knife is definitely the best electric bread knife in the market. It even comes with two blades: a heavy-duty blade for tougher food items and a thinner one for general usage.
It also has components such as slices and sharpeners, so it’s a pretty complete package.
What’s great about this electric bread knife is that its one-touch pressure-activated trigger is very to use. It even comes with a butcher block holding tray so storage of this bread knife is easy peasy.
Plus, it has a three-year warranty upon purchase, so you can have it fixed in case of any malfunction or defects.
However, there are complaints about the sturdiness of the holding tray so one must handle it with care. Not to mention you can’t use this bread knife in case of a power outage so there’s that.
However, if you’re looking for an easy-to-use electric bread knife, you should definitely keep this in your shopping radar.
Related Post: Best Ceramic Knives
7: Miyabi Kaizen 9.5-inch Bread Knife
- VG10 super steel
- Authentic thin Japanese blade profile
- Hand-honed using the three-step Honbazuke process to a 9.5 to 12 degree edge
- CRYODUR blade, ice-hardened to Rockwell 60
- 65-layer flower Damascus design with katana edge
A perfectionist’s dream come true, the Miyabi Kaizen 9.5-inch bread knife guarantees extreme precision with every slice.
Made with a Japanese Damascus steel blade and forged with an innovative ice-hardening treatment, this bread knife from the land of the rising sun glides through food items with exceptional balance.
What makes this beautiful knife one of a kind is its rounded Pakkawood handle, which means that this bread knife is versatile enough for you to hold it in a way that feels comfortable without compromising quality slicing.
Plus, its handle is slip-proof and has moisture-repellent properties. To top it all off, this bread knife has a gorgeous design any master chef or up-and-coming cook would be proud of.
This bread knife’s expensive price tag may be discouraging to some, but this kitchen tool should be able to last you for decades if you take care of it well so think of it as an investment piece. It’s worth the expense for long-term slicing in the kitchen.
8: Dexter Outdoors 10″ Scalloped Bread Knife with Black Handle
- Black, ergonomic, textured, slip-resistant SOFGRIP handle bread knife matches the contour of the hand for comfortable use
- Sharp, durable, high carbon 10-inch scalloped steel blade that is individually ground to excel in commercial and domestic kitchens
- The points of the scallops easily break through tough bread crusts without damaging the soft interior
- Blade is secured to handle with an impervious seal for utmost sanitation and durability
- Made in the USA
Affordable, heavy-duty yet lightweight, the Dexter Outdoors 10″ Scalloped Bread Knife with Black Handle is definitely a bang for your buck tool in the pantry.
Forged from proprietary Dexsteel high-carbon, high-alloy stainless steel, this bread knife is as sharp as they come. Proudly American-made, this bread knife is made by edge experts who have been in the business since 1818.
With its rigid, sharp blade, this bread knife can labor through even the toughest tasks such as opening a honeydew melon. It is also made with a plastic handle, which means it is less likely to slip when used.
Long-lasting and easy to store, this is a kitchen partner you wouldn’t want to miss out on.
Compared to the other bread knives in this list, this option may feel less balanced so its very affordable price tag does have a setback.
However, this is a small hiccup considering all the benefits you stand to enjoy once you procure this as your bread knife partner.
- Heavy duty
- Less balanced than other bread knives
9: Global SAI-05 Bread Knife, 9″, Silver
- 9" Bread Knife is great for slicing foods with thick crusts or rinds like artisan breads and melons/gourds
- Every GLOBAL SAI blade is made of the finest stainless steel, Cordova 18, designed exclusively for GLOBAL
- Tempered and hardened to Rockwell C56 Degree-C58 Degree, SAI blades hold their razor sharp edges longer than other steel and resist rust, stains and corrosion
- Lightweight and balanced for easy handling in the kitchen
- Smooth contours and seamless construction eliminate food and dirt traps
A gorgeous statement piece that’s sure to catch the attention of your dinner guests, the Global SAI-05 Bread Knife is a stylish yet hardworking bread knife that can cut through the toughest food items.
This special kitchen tool is made of Cordova 8, the finest stainless steel exclusively designed for the Japanese company.
Although this serrated bread knife is made of pure metal, it is surprisingly very lightweight. It also has superior edge retention, and is resistant to rust and corrosion, making it a long-lasting kitchen partner.
To top it all off, it’s incredibly well balanced so it’s great for professional chefs and newbies in the kitchen.
However, this elegant bread knife comes with a very steep price tag. If you’re in the market for a lethal bread knife combination of function and style (and the price is not a problem), you should definitely consider this as your kitchen tool.
#10: DALSTRONG Serrated Bread Knife – 9″
- Designed to be as sleek, aggressive and muscular looking as they are effective, the Dalstrong Shadow Black Series stands out. They’re not simply cutting-edge, high-performance tools; they're a statement about you and your style as a chef.
- Scalpel-like edge, hand finished to 15° per side using the Honbazuke method. Nitrogen cooled for hardness and flexibility. Titanium Nitride non-reflective coating for robustness, corrosion resistance and enhancing non-stick properties.
- Midnight black ergonomic, fiber-resin and military grade G10 handle is nearly impervious to heat, cold and moisture. The handle geometry tucks snugly into the palm for a firm grasp. Full tang blade, offset handle for knuckle clearance.
- Featuring high-carbon 7CR17MOV-X super-steel with an added vacuum heat treatment at 58+ HRC for extraordinary performance and edge retention. Each blade comes with a matching black space-saving sheath. National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) certified.
- Dalstrong Trust: Rocksolid 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk free. LIFETIME WARRANTY against defects. Renowned Dalstrong customer service. See why over 250,000 chefs around the world trust and love, 'The Dalstrong Difference'.
With its unique, sleek design, the Dalstrong Serrated Bread Knife is a standout bread knife that promises to deliver excellent performance with every slice.
Especially cooled with Nitrogen for optimum flexibility, this kitchen tool is forged with a single piece of steel, hand-polished for maximum durability.
Its handle is ergonomically designed, and resistant to moisture, heat, and cold so it’s a bread knife you can definitely use anywhere, anytime.
It also comes with a Dalstrong sheath, so it’s easy to store in your cupboard or kitchen space. NSF certified, this kitchen tool is a great choice for professional chefs and home cooks, too.
To be fair, however, there are user complaints about the company’s customer service. However, if you think you can take care of this bread knife on your own well, this shouldn’t be too much of an issue. It’s still a pretty awesome bread knife after all.
Best Bread Knife: Buyer’s Guide
As explained above, there is a lot of incredible, heavy-duty yet lightweight bread knives in the market.
All of them have their strengths and weaknesses. Just because a bread knife is expensive doesn’t mean it’s the best quality product in the market, and there are also setbacks to choosing a more economic choice.
But which one is the ideal one for you personally? How do you gauge if a bread knife would suit your needs in the kitchen? What do you scrutinize to guarantee its quality?
To find the bread knife that’s a cut above the rest for YOU, here’s a list of some important factors you should consider:
In this case, longer is better as lengthy bread knives have the capability to slice through food items of various sizes. The ideal length is 10 inches, so you don’t have to hack through a big watermelon several times and risk making uneven cuts.
However, if you’re not looking to slice big fruits and vegetables, a smaller one might be ideal for you personally. The choice is yours, really.
Is the bread knife’s handle comfortable and does it have a strong grip?
Chances are that you’ll be spending a lot of time slicing through food with your bread knife so it needs to be designed for optimal convenience, and has less tendency to slip off your fingers.
It should also have safety features to avoid any accidents, and so it can be used even by those who aren’t professional cooks.
The durability of a bread knife lies in its edge retention because it would entail that you don’t have to sharpen it every so often for maximum performance.
Your bread knife won’t see as much action as your chef’s knife, yes, but it’s best to keep it sharp just in case you would need it in the kitchen or dinner table.
Plus, sharpening a bread knife using an electric knife sharpener would entail buying a 2-stage electric knife sharpener, so you need one that is relatively low maintenance.
The perfect knife for cutting bread would be one with fewer, deeper serrations. Of course, you’re going to use your bread knife for other food items too, but there’s a reason it’s called a ‘bread knife,’ right?
Also, don’t buy into brands that boast of having a high number of serrations, because the result might not be pretty. It might even compromise the quality of your dishes.
By definition, a bread knife is for cutting bread, but a good quality bread knife would be able to slice through other food items with ease as well.
Whether it’s hacking through a watermelon or delicately cutting a ripe tomato, an excellent bread knife would be able to do both and more, so choose your kitchen partner with that in mind.
Aside from all of these, you should consider how easy it is to maintain your bread knife because a good quality bread knife can last in your kitchen for a long time.
Some people might be impressed by models that are recommended for professional chefs, but they often come with steep price tags.
However, some cheaper models can hold their own among the more expensive options, so choose wisely. Lastly, you should determine your intent. Are you looking for a bread knife for crusty bread or is your priority something else?
The bottom line is what are you willing to invest in considering the number of times you’ll probably use your bread knife? You get what you pay for after all.
Best Bread Knife FAQs
Q1: What is a bread knife?
By definition, a bread knife is a serrated knife used to slice through soft bread without crushing or deforming it in the process. Unlike smooth chefs or utility knives, bread knives have serrations or saw-like scallops along their edges. Although its main purpose is for bread slicing, it can also be used for other food items.
Q2: Why are bread knives serrated?
The serrated edges of a bread knife help it cut through delicate food items such as ripe tomatoes and soft bread without compromising their shape and quality. It essentially operates with the same principle as a regular saw: its slices smoothly through your food.
Q3: Is a bread knife necessary?
Yes, the general rule is that every kitchen should have three knives: a chef’s knife, a paring knife, and a paring knife. Each has its own specific usages, and a bread knife is essential for delicate food items like tomatoes and bread. You can even use them for certain meat, so it’s a pretty handy kitchen tool.
Q4: How do I sharpen my bread knife?
Generally, bread knives shouldn’t have to be sharpened often, but it is necessary if you’re the type to use yours in the kitchen often. Unlike most knives, you need a special tool such as a serrated knife sharpener to keep your bread knife’s serration functioning at optimal levels.
A Final Note
A good quality bread knife is a great partner in the kitchen not only for serving bread but for slicing through other food items such as tomatoes and even melons. Every kitchen should have one of excellent quality not only for maximum precision but for longevity as well.
Whether you’re a professional chef or a newbie looking to try something new, investing in the right partners would benefit you in the long run. To prepare great dishes, you need to have equally impressive tools as well, so choose your bread knife well.