It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that pizzas make the world go round. If there had to be a global-favorite cuisine, this Italian masterpiece would take the cake!
The crisp of the crust, the melting cheese, and the savory toppings are a treat for our taste buds. But why do our home-made pizzas lack all the flavors we feast on at our go-to pizza place? The ingredients are the same, aren’t they?
Ideally and traditionally, you make pizzas in a masonry oven, and baking your pizza in it makes all the difference. While you cannot replace your modern-day oven with a stone oven, you can still make up for the lack of it by using a pizza stone!
The 5 Best Pizza Stone Reviewed
1. Lodge P14P3 Cast Iron Baking Pan
If you are looking to get yourself a round cast-iron pizza stone that works wonders in the oven as well as on the stove, then you will find this chef-d’oeuvre by Lodge to be tailored to your needs. It has everything you require to make pizza parties at home as palatable as those at your favorite restaurant.
- 14 INCH CAST IRON PIZZA PAN: Seasoned and ready to use, this pizza pan features helpful, modern handles and a wide cooking surface that’s perfect for pizzas or baking.
- HEAT RETENTION: This cast iron pizza features unparalleled heat retention for consistent, high-heat cooking and even heat distribution without hotspots.
- NATURALLY NONSTICK: This naturally seasoned cast iron pizza is made with just iron and vegetable oil, creating a quick-release surface that gets better with use — just hand wash, dry, and rub with oil to preserve finish.
- COOK ANYWHERE: Cast iron cookware is oven-safe and can be used on so many heat sources, including grills or even live fire.
- MADE IN THE USA: Designed and made in South Pittsburg, Tennessee, where the people of Lodge Cast Iron have been crafting quality cookware since 1896.
The lodge is a name well-known in the world of cast-iron cookware that takes pride in being the top-notch manufacturers of culinary armamentarium.
With the quality that they roll out, there is no doubt that their creation is one of the best pizza stones of this year. The sturdy round cast-iron design makes it unbreakable, offering durability that is going to last for a long time.
The 14-inch diameter increases its application in homes and pizza businesses as it can conveniently slide into all sizes of ovens. Besides, the lightweight of only 10 pounds means that you can carry it anywhere you please and even use it over your concocted campfires to roast vegetables and cook meat in addition to the perfect Naples crust.
At a modest price tag, the Lodge P14P3 Cast Iron Baking Pan offers:
The stone is pre-seasoned, meaning that it is coated with a layer of healthy vegetable oil that permits immediate use and unaltered removal of the pizza. The crust is cooked till it is golden brown and never sticks to the bottom.
On either side are two handles that make the placement of the stone simple. You can omit using a peel.
Fast heat conduction and long heat retention
The cast-iron has been tested to have the fastest rate of heat conduction. The stone can reach up to temperatures as high as 400F within a matter of 4 minutes. Other materials, such as clay and ceramics, might lag in this aspect. The black color maintains the heat for a long time.
Unbreakable and durable
It is made to endure tough kitchen conditions, afford being moved around and resist scratches all thanks to the high-quality cast-iron used to construct it.
Many targets with “one stone”
If versatility had a form, it would be this stone that can act as a pan and a skillet all at once! The cast-iron circle is fortified at the seams with a reliable lip that ensures that no contents slide out of the stone. The even heating, non –stick pre-seasoned surface and ideal width make it worthy of being used for grilling all kinds of meat cuts.
Stainless crusts every time
The stone gives you pizza crusts that are baked flawlessly without darkening the underside.
Spend more time baking and less time cleaning with this one-of-a-kind pizza stone. We found that it could be cleaned without much effort and quickly.
A meticulous hand wash is all that is needed, and it remains sterile at temperatures as high as 200F. If you are ever in the mood to eat and not wash, then a simple wiping off with a dry towel would do.
- Budget-friendly – Heavier than some of its rivals
- Can be cleaned easily – The lip might interfere with safe pizza removal
- Durable cast-iron built
- Versatile: Used for cooking meats and vegetables as well
2. NerdChef Steel Stone
Unlike old times, pizza stones made of steel instead of clay and stone are being preferred owing to their remarkable longevity. This is specifically true for pizza businesses where abuse of culinary items is inevitable because of the workload. If you are searching for a budget-friendly and reliable pizza stone made up of steel, the NerdChef Steel Stone might be it.
- 20x higher conductivity than ceramic baking stones and twice the heat capacity. This lets it send much more heat energy to your crust so you can get the great performance of a 1000F oven in a home oven at 450F.
- Creates gorgeous crusts, better blistering, and faster cook times. "The ultimate pizza stone" - LifeHacker
- Low-friction surface: textured, sanded smooth, seasoned with flaxseed oil.
- Solid steel, unbreakable, guaranteed for life.
- 16"x 14.25"x.25" - 16lbs (Warning: it's heavy!) Made in USA.
Rectangular pizza stones never go out of style; they add space for you to work in and grant you the liberty to make large rectangular pizzas.
The NerdChef Steel Stone is a 16″ x 14.25″ large steel stone that gives you just the right amount of heat on an ideal surface to get the crusts of your dreams.
The material that births this versatile stone promises not to break under any kind of load and not to give in to any extreme temperatures.
If you are a fan of frozen ready-to-cook pizzas, you can save a lot of time by using this stone as the steel and design accept frozen items without distorting. There are three different thicknesses available for you to choose from.
However, it might be a bit too heavy to be used casually at home. Carrying it is made less user-friendly, given its lack of handles. Other than that, this stone is packed with the following traits:
Efficient heat conductivity
The company claims that its steel stone is capable of conducting heat at rates at least 20 times faster than the conventional ceramic types.
The flaxseed oil pre-seasoned coating makes the steel surface non-stick and ready-to-use. Get to baking in no time with this stone.
Use it as a girdle
The large design and efficient heat conduction are its plus points. You can use it without a worry directly on your stove’s flame and cook anything, from bread to bacon.
Easy storage and handling
On the edges, the NerdChef Steel Stone has two large holes punched into it. You can use these slots to drag the optimally cooled stone out of the oven or to hang it in your kitchen, saving some space in the cabinets.
The cold doesn’t bother it
This fantastic stone can be used as a cold plate, the manufacturers guarantee. Place it directly in the freezer without a second thought.
- Large size – Heavy, about 32 lbs.
- Various thicknesses – Not suitable for home use
- Fast heat conduction – Steel stains after some time
- Unbreakable design – Loses non-stick character with use
- Capable of enduring freezing temperatures
3. SOLIDO Rectangular Pizza Stone
Some people prefer round pizza stones because of the ease they impart in terms of insertion in the oven and conformity to the traditional outline of the crust.
The game has changed with the advent of the SOLIDO Rectangular Pizza Stone that combines the most sought-after traits of a pizza stone: Space and versatility.
- PERFECT FOR PIZZA, BREAD, COOKIES. Through incredible extensive testing and trying, we know you’ll get superb results every single time. Be ready to blow away your friends and family with AWESOME pizza.
- A MATCH FOR YOUR OVEN, BBQ, OR GRILL. Easily beating every round pizza stone or pizza pan, this baking stone has a bigger surface area, yet still fits all standard ovens.
- EVERY BITE IS PERFECTION. Our EXCLUSIVE heat spiral heats your Solido pizza stone faster and stores heat in the center. This means you’ll cook the toppings in the middle just as deeply and flavorful as the ones on the edges. And yes: works for ready-made frozen pizza as well!
- UNPARALLELED QUALITY. The Solido cooking stone combines its UNIQUE heat spiral with beautifully crafted feet on the underside to keep the stone balanced, giving you superior grip and easy maneuverability.
- WE GOT YOUR BACK. Awesome tried-and-tested recipes, Top Tips and Tricks and all the support and instructions you’ll ever need: ALL YOURS when you buy the Solido pizza stone from its creator and manufacturer: Solido baking! So hit the ADD TO CART button now. (Don't forget to add the Solido Pizza Peel as well!!)
This Cordierite stone-based item conveniently finds its spot in the best pizza stones’ list, all thanks to the proprietary heat spiral mechanism that heats the stone in virtually no time.
Able to withstand temperatures as high as 2000F, the SOLIDO Rectangular Pizza Stone helps you attain the most balanced pizza crusts of all times.
Building a pizza from scratch or tossing on a frozen ready-to-cook crust without thawing with this pre-seasoned stone is never a problem.
Pizza times are simplified. The fast heating mechanism frees you from the burden of worrying about a burnt or undercooked crust.
Here are some of its most impressive features:
Advanced heating mechanics
This rectangular stone makes use of heat spirals to shorten the time needed to reach optimum pizza-baking temperatures.
Non-stick and pre-seasoned
The surface of the stone is glazed with an FDA approved coating to aid you in the art and science of pizza making. The crust is easily picked up, and there is no need to season the stone with oil beforehand.
Design that allows unimpeded airflow
The bottom of the stone has been optimized to provide a seamless flow of hot air that will pass right into the pizza giving you that pizzeria-level puffed up the crust that makes every bite worth the effort.
It is crafted to ensure an even spread of heat, starting from the bottom to the peripheries. Bid farewell to all your uncooked edges and raw central toppings with this revolutionary stone.
Although sold separately, the company offers a peel that is built per this stone’s dimensions. Insert and remove the stone like a pro.
One size fits all
The stone measures 14 x 16, meaning you can use it over the grill, on the stove or in any of the best pizza ovens. It can conveniently be placed into the commonly used cooking ranges without making any special arrangements.
Even though the title of the product is not suggestive, but it does more than just making delicious pizzas. You can use it to try your mother’s cookie recipe, to make those pastries you’ve always wanted to and anything else that can be made at temperatures under 2000F!
It weighs only around 13 lbs. Without compromising on size. This aspect makes it an ideal stone for use at home and outdoor pizza-oriented activities.
- Lightweight – Lacks handles
- Large 14 x 16 surface – Stains over time
- Heat spirals for efficient heating – Prone to breakage as made of Cordierite
- Simple cleaning
- Specific peel available
4. The Ultimate Pizza Stone
If you have ever had your half-baked pizza slip off the stone right on top of the oven’s grill, you probably have already experienced the worst form of heartbreak. The perfect ingredients and laborious preparation can all go to waste in a second.
But, with the Ultimate Pizza Stone, you can forget all about it. To satiate the perfectionist in you, Love This Kitchen has come up with a top-notch model that will give you unparalleled crusts every time!
- ✅ THICK BAKING STONES will not break due to temperature changes (and that's covered by our Limited 1 year Guarantee). Our proprietary Cordierite (ceramic compound) is designed to withstand up to 1500 degrees and ensures a worry-free cooking. You can count on this stone to cook delectably pizzas, bread, cookies and more for years to come!
- ✅ THE BEST PIZZA YOU'VE EVER HAD should be baked on a craft stone with highly absorbent pores that extracts moisture out of the dough and simulates restaurant pizza ovens for that perfectly baked pie-hot, melty & delicious! Our exclusive Core Convection Technology concentrates heat in the core and projects its outwards to cook from the center out for an evenly cooked, delectably extra crispy crust with no soggy centers!
- ✅ GRILL SAFE clay stones at .83" thick, our stone superior engineering provides greater heat retention than thinner brands and is less prone to breakage; bottom has a ledge, making it easier to handle it. This stone has been tested at high temperatures by our customers on Kamado Joe, Weber, Traeger, Big Green Egg and many other Commercial & Professional, Charcoal or Gas BBQ Grills ★ Fits all standard ovens at least 17" deep. MEASURE YOUR OVEN OR GRILL before purchasing ★
- ✅ NO MORE SPILLS OR SPOILED PIZZAS with our patent-pending No-Spill Stopper, not available on any other pizza stone, prevents pie from sliding off the back when you remove it from the small stone or grill for a worry-free home pizza cooking experience. We even show you how! An instructions manual (via email) is included. It’s so easy to make pizza night a family tradition!
- ✅ 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE at Love This Kitchen, we take everyday tools and redesign them to make them better, stylish, and practical for the inner Chef in all of us. Using only the best materials, we create top of the line kitchen tools that are made to last. Established in USA since 2002, here is our promise: If you aren't 100% thrilled with your purchase, just contact Amazon within 30 days for a full refund. Plus, all our products have a limited 1 year Guarantee, so Order Now!
You are just a stone away from the right kind of pizza. The Ultimate Pizza Stone is a complete package with its durable cordierite construction that likens the classic masonry oven by bearing porosities. These microscopic holes help absorb moisture to yield the crunchy crusts you eat only in quality pizzerias.
The 16″ large and 8.8 pounds stone is diverse in its application. You can use it to make all kinds of flatbreads and cookies. It is compatible with grills and ovens, only if they have a depth of 17″. It is paramount that you check the dimensions of the cooking range that you will be using before making the purchase.
The Ultimate Pizza Stone, to stay true to its name, gives you:
The most efficient heat conduction
This ceramic stone works on the Core Convection Technique. The center receives the largest amount of heat, stores it, and then distributes it evenly throughout the stone, giving you a finely baked pizza.
A wide range of operational temperatures
Bake anything with this stone up to temperatures as high as 1500F. Even if you have to place on it frozen readymade crusts or insert it in a freezer, thanks to its Thermal Shock Protection, it will be able to tolerate even the lowest of the temperatures. There is no risk of warping, cracking, or breakage.
Thicker dimensions than most other stones
The Ultimate Pizza Stone outdoes others of its kind by offering a thickness of 0.83 inches. This specification allows it to retain heat for a longer period to guarantee a pizza that is cooked inside out.
Peace of mind with no-spill stopper
The stone features a sturdy stopper at its edge that promises to put an end to spillages in the oven or over the grill. The only place your pizza is sliding is on to your plate.
- Large size – Only used with 17” deep oven
- Unbreakable ceramic – Gives off a pungent smell
- Porous stone to absorb moisture
- No-spill stopper
- Even heating
- Core convention technique for thorough baking
- Thermal shock protection to avoid thermal damage
5. Old Stone Oven Round Pizza Stone
This model based on the old-school principle of pizza crafting- using clay to get the crust you have been yearning for. In the past, clay-lined kilns were used to make this Italian masterpiece.
The Old Stone Oven Round Pizza Stone employs the same tactic in a much more compact and healthy way to produce beautiful crusts, desserts, meat, and much more.
- Makes restaurant-quality pizza and bread with crunchy-chewy crust
- Ideal for baking 16” family-style pizza, bread, biscuits and more
- Absorbs oven’s heat and transfers it evenly
- Withstands heat up to 2000℉ in the oven or on the grill
- Durable, non-cracking; crafted from a blend of lead-free clays
In our opinion, the most qualified pizza stone is the one that helps you bake more than just pizza. Housing a separate pan for all the different things the chef in you wants to attempt will be expensive and a bit too much to handle. Therefore, Old Stone Oven Round Pizza Stone can act as a versatile addition to your range of culinary items.
From making crust-filled pies to crunchy cookies, you can accomplish it all with this simple to use 16 inch stone. Use it on your grill and in your oven to temperatures up to 2000F.
There is no chance that this robust yet compact stone will distort at any temperature. It simplifies life manifold by being amenable to cleaning methods as easy as wiping the surface with a paper towel.
Experts have appreciated the quality and durability of this item. It has undergone the most rigorous of tests for more than a decade in many of the busiest and messiest kitchens but still performed better than its rivals.
A handful of its specifications that make it worthy of your consideration are:
A set of 8 sturdy feet
Expect stability and easy placement of this stone with its eight basal supports. Shift it from oven to grill, move it in and out without the slightest alteration in the pizza toppings and shape.
As stated earlier, this stone acts as a one-stop solution for all your baking needs. Experts have used this stone for pizza nights, and to cook Turkey for the family on thanksgiving sans any disappointment. It is even suitable for contemporary desserts for one of those days when you want to indulge in home-made cookies.
Carry it anywhere
It weighs a mere 10 pounds. You can move it around and shove it in the oven conveniently. Even the weakest of peels will be able to maneuver it as needed.
Works with all kinds of ovens
It doesn’t matter if you don’t own the latest oven; this 16 inch stone works wonders even with older ones. If you blame your old oven for the crust not turning out as crispy as you wish, you should give this stone a chance. It could potentially help you save money that otherwise would have been spent over getting a new baking appliance.
- Reliable feet increasing user-friendliness – Increased chance of breakage
- Compatible with oven sizes – Feet engage in oven racks
- Lead-free clay used – Lacks handles
- Light in weight; easy to carry
- Affordable price
Best Pizza Stone Buyer’s Guide
The type of pizza stone you should get for your home kitchen or restaurant would ultimately depend upon your preferences. It is better to have a rough draft of the things you ought to be looking for in a pizza stone before spending your money on one.
Few of the crucial factors that you should bear in mind to buy the best pizza stone are as follows:
Type of Material
As you have already seen in this guide, stones come in a variety of materials. Each one of them has its unique properties, and the utility will depend upon your requirements. The commonly available materials are:
- Clay: Mimics the masonry oven very closely but might fracture at very high temperatures or following water soaking. Lead fumes given off by these are another cause of concern.
- Cordierite: The innate porosities in this material offer adequate moisture absorption, and they conduct heat very efficiently. This is the best choice when looking for a stone to work with at home. They are light in weight. However, they have low fracture resistance, are expensive, and require extra care.
- Cast Iron: This material is an excellent conductor of heat. It is strong, durable, and long-lasting. This type is well-suited for commercial use. They might be considered unaffordable and are too heavy.
- Steel: Similar to cast iron, it is an efficient conductor of heat. It is easy to clean and maintains its pre-seasoned surface for a considerably longer time. The weight and price may not make it a good choice
If you expect to bake more than just pizzas, you would have to choose a stone that gives you the option to use it with grills, ovens, and boilers without getting damaged.
The surface should be compatible with the type of food items you intend to make. Such as, buying a rectangular stone would help you make a large batch of cookies or grill meat evenly. A round one would restrict the surface area and hinder heat flow.
If you do not want to spend additional money on getting a peel or if your oven size does not allow using a large spatula to maneuver the stone, it is better that you opt for stones that come with comfortable handles.
This gives you the ease to carry the stone with a pair of oven mittens instead of plunging in a peel. However, be careful as this increases your exposure to heat and microwave radiations.
This will be determined majorly by the size of your oven, grill, or stove. Usually, a stone of about 15 inches should easily insert into any oven. Other factors to consider are your comfort and the size of the pizzas you wish to make.
Ease of Cleaning
If you are more of a dishwasher person, you should opt for the stones that can be cleaned in it. Most clay-based and Cordierite stones are not good candidates for soaking and mechanical washing. Most stones are preferably wiped off or hand-washed gently.
Frequently Asked Question about Pizza Stones
Q1: How do I make sure that my pizza stone maintains its non-stick properties?
Pre-seasoned and non-stick stones make life easier. Even though companies claim that the coating will persist, experience proves otherwise.
Experts recommend regular greasing of the pan with natural vegetable oil between uses to make sure that the surface maintains its texture and that the crust does not get stuck to it.
Q2: Why does my stone give off an unpleasant chemical-like odor every time I use it?
Clay and cordierite stones have porosities in their structures, a trait that makes them produce the best crusts. However, continued use, lack of proper cleaning, and constant washing with soap will lead to these particles getting entrapped within these pores.
The next time you use the stone, the heat will cause these materials to evaporate, spoiling the pizza and giving off an awful smell at high temperatures. Use only plain water or choose to scrape off any unsightly stains from the surface.
Q3: Should I preheat my oven before using the stone?
Never introduce a cold stone into a heated oven unless you want the stone to break due to thermal shock. Take at least 30 to 60 minutes to increase the stone’s temperature by placing it in a cold oven.
Also, it is prudent to remember that the stone will always take some time to reach the right temperature even when the oven has heated up.
Q4: What is the best way to clean a pizza stone?
Making a thick paste of baking soda mixed in water to act as an abrasive has proven to be an effective way to clean most kinds of stones without damaging them.
Do not introduce the cleaning agent on to the hot stone directly. Allow the stone to cool and wipe it off with a damp cloth first. Then, take a soft-bristle brush to apply the paste on it using gentle circular motions only once or twice. Use a clean damp cloth to wipe the baking soda away and allow it to dry before use.
Q5: My pizza stone has stains, will they affect the quality of the pizza and other goods I bake using it?
Many stones come with a glazed surface and, with time, lose their luster. Stains are inevitable, and for many users, they might become a ghastly sight.
Depending on the accompanying instructions, you might be able to scrape them off. Otherwise, most stains are entirely harmless and would not affect the taste or quality of your pizza.
Q4: Is a Pizza Pan better than a Pizza Stone?
If the flavor is your priority then you definitely should go for a good pizza stone but keep in mind these are harder to clean. While the best pizza pans are dishwasher safe, stones will need a little scrubbing. Also, pizza stones are more suited for pizzas with thicker bases.
Given all the options, the best pizza stone for home and commercial use is undoubtedly the cordierite-based SOLIDO Rectangular Pizza Stone. We chose this particular stone from the lot because:
- It is economical, priced at around $60.
- It is rectangular and large enough to help you enjoy family-sized pizzas.
- The 16 x 14 dimensions are compatible with commonly used grills, stoves, ovens, etc.
- Heat Spiral technology adds efficiency to the process and can retain heat for a long period, ensuring top-notch pizzas.
- It is versatile. You can even use it in the freezer or on the grill to roast veggies and meat.
The second most viable choice, particularly for professionals, would be the Lodge P14P3 Cast Iron Baking Pan with its robust design. Its heavyweight does not allow its use at home.
Hoping this concise review has been an important aide in making you choose the right stone.