We already told you about the best meat thermometers but if you prefer your meat grilled than a meat thermometer won’t cut it. You will need the best smoker thermometer.
But finding the best one out of the many brands and models available in the market can be overwhelming. You need a thermometer that is easy to use and more importantly, dead-accurate.
And with grill season almost upon us, I am sure you are in a rush to get a good smoker thermometer, right? Thankfully, in this article, we’ll help you find just that.
Best Smoker Thermometer for 2022
Detailed Reviews of the Best Smoker Thermometers
#1: Maverick Wireless Smoker Thermometer
The Maverick Wireless Smoker Thermometer has been verified as one of the most convenient to use tools of its kind. You can use it in your home or restaurant, all thanks to its unparalleled features and an affordable price tag.
This gauge is a budget-friendly option particularly suitable for novices. It has a straight forward set-up and has been verified to be one of the best-sellers in the market.
The device is not only smart in its operation but is very compact to make working with it easy. However, it might not be the right fit for commercial grillers who wish to use it with deep fryers and in wet fields of operation
This peculiar smoker thermometer is a complete package for both commercial and domestic users. The following features make it an absolute necessity for grilling fans:
Easy to use: The thermometer is accompanied by a manual for users to make using it equally convenient for amateurs and grilling experts. It includes only two grill clips to help secure it to the machine and two temperature probes without any sturdy fitting items. These can be placed without a hassle within the grill.
High-temperature tolerance and alerts: It can help detect and maintain temperatures as high as 716 degrees Fahrenheit. You can grill, cook and bake any kind of meat with it, to any extent that you desire.
Cook more than 1 meat at a time: The large display and two probes mean that you can grill as many as 2 different kinds of meats, with different settings and monitor them at once.
Alerts to make sure you don’t miss a thing: As soon as the receiver loses signals being sent by the probes, it issues an alert to the user to make them correct their location.
Displays that suit your morning bashes and late-night shenanigans: The display comes with a powerful and reliable backlight that allows you to have a perfectly vivid display during the day and the night.
Powered by batteries- no need to charge or rely on electricity: All you need are 4 AAAA cells to keep the thermometer running. Replacement is easy and you don’t need to keep an eye out for the charger or the power consumption.
Portable: The thermometer receiver weighs only 13 ounces and has the dimensions of a cell phone, making it easy to carry.
- It is user-friendly.
- It is portable.
- Backlit display makes it easy to use.
- Modest price tag.
- High-temperature range detection of above 700 F.
- The Large detection range of 300 ft.
- Small dimensions of 9 x 3 x 9 inches.
- The cable is not waterproof. It cannot be used in wet areas or inside the fluid.
- Batteries need replacement often.
- Range may be too short for commercial users.
- A plastic body precludes its use within ovens.
- Probes may be too short for some purposes
The Maverick Wireless Smoker Thermometer needs to facilitate its customers by allowing for a water-proof and heat-resistant probe to widen its compatibility in the kitchen.
While it may be an ideal choice when its use is restricted to domestic uses, for it to be used commercially, it needs to enhance the size of its probes and add a greater variety of pre-set cooking specifications in the thermometer than it already has.
#2: ThermoPro TP-17
- BBQ High/Low Temperature Alarm: This smoker thermometer will flash and beep to notify you if your grill's temperature ever exceeds your desired range, and when to add more fuel. HI/LOW temp range alarm is specifically designed for usage with smokers, grills and BBQs
- Dual probe grill thermometer and USDA presets: Monitor temperatures of two pieces of meat or grill temperature without swapping probes or using different devices includes USDA preset temperatures and can also adjust set temperature manually
- Large & Clear Backlit LCD Display: This BBQ thermometer features a large display which features both food /oven/grill/smoker temperatures and timer for the most intuitive experience. Use the backlight to view temperatures in any light condition
- Highly Accurate Probes: This oven thermometer features an accuracy of ±1.8°F (±1°C) to quickly to alert you of the slightest temp change in seconds. Cook anything you want with this food thermometer that can operate in a range of 14°F to 572°F (-10˚C to 300˚C)
- Easy to Use and Store: Perfect outdoor fryer accessories for your backyard kitchen, indoor and outdoor uses; Place this digital meat thermometer for cooking and use it with ease with its front facing buttons; Then store anywhere in your kitchen or grill using its flip-out countertop stand, and magnetic back
The ThermoPro range lies in the middle of the high-end, professional smoker thermometers. It offers a large, easy to look at the backlit display with two temperature probes capable of withstanding the high grilling temperatures.
It can be used with all kinds of food and a great variety of cooking/baking armamentarium. The food-grade stainless steel probe makes it compatible with desserts as well. This thermometer is very diverse in its operation and gives you complete control over the grilling process. The following features make it a great buy:
Sufficient cooking times: The ThermoPro TP 17 makes grilling easier by offering a pre-installed set of cooking temperatures and timings. The latter range from 1 to 99 hours! Cook literally anything with this smart smoker thermometer without an ounce of worry. Besides ideal grilling settings, you can manually input the desired temperature and times to suit your needs.
Magnetic Back makes placement more secure: The thermometer has a back panel that will conveniently attach to your grill, cooking range, oven, and other compatible devices. Additionally, the gauge comes with a flip-out counter stand. You can focus better on your BBQ than having to fret about the safe placement of the smoker thermometer.
Large temperature tolerance range: Burnt and undercooked meat is out of the question with the ThermoPro TP 17 as it has a wide range of compatible cooking temperatures. It is able to detect temperatures as low as -10 degrees Fahrenheit and as high as 572 degrees Fahrenheit.
Versatile probe: One of the most notable features of this smoker thermometer is its stainless steel, food-grade probe. The utility of this specification is that it can be used with all sorts of food materials even sugary items without any adverse reaction. The material used to make the probe also keeps at bay any kind of infection that may be caused by rusty armamentarium.
Large back-lit display: Use the ThermoPro TP 17 during sunny afternoons or in the darkness of the night. The 3” backlit display promises a crystal clear view of the temperature and other relevant information about the grill machine.
- A stainless food-grade probe makes use of the thermometer healthy and safe.
- Easy device placement
- 40″ stainless steel mesh cable allows comfortable probe insertion
- Easy to replace 1 AAA battery
- Temperature tolerance of about up to 716°F (380°C)
- Pre-set cooking times and temperatures may be inaccurate
- Cable and probes are not waterproof
- Cannot be used in or around an open flame
- Backlight needs a trigger to be turned on
Without a doubt, the ThermoPro TP 17 is an excellent smoker thermometer. However, making the backlight activation a bit more automatic and adjustable to conditions might make it even better. Waterproofing the cables and probes might increase its daily domestic and commercial applications.
#3: ThermoPro TP03
- Super-fast: Instant reading thermometer with backlight features 3.9 inches food grade stainless steel probe gets temp readout within 3-5 seconds with high precision sensor
- Accurate readout: Cooking thermometer with temp range of -58 ~ 572 degree Fahrenheit (-50 ~ 300 degree Celsius); accurate to ±0.9 degree Fahrenheit; Perfect for indoor outdoor cooking, grilling, BBQ and so on
- Easy to use: Kitchen thermometer with foldable probe design folds away easily and locks into base for portability; Magnetic back and hook allows for convenient storage
- Smart design: Digital meat thermometer will auto shut off if readout stays on for 10 minutes; Powered by AAA battery; batteries included
- Backlight display: Grilling thermometer features backlight LCD display to let you see clearly while cooking in the evening, indoors or outdoors
It is a high-end thermometer that may be considered relatively expensive than other gauges. However, it is the favorite device of many professional cooks.
It has a broader temperature tolerance and the probe cables are specially designed to make it well-matched with deep fryers as well. It is very accurate in its operation, making commercial grilling efficient and precise.
The Thermoworks Smoke is one of the most expensive smoker thermometers available in the market. However, it gives you complete value for your money by being packed with the following remarkable features:
Waterproof probes: Unlike many other gauges, this one allows you to use it with deep frying and other wet areas all thanks to its versatile water-proof probes.
Reliable connectivity: Transmission between the receiver and the thermometer is via radiofrequency. The signals are tested to be robust and can be communicated undeterred over a range of 300 ft.
Magnetic back panels: Mount the transmitter and the receiver anywhere safely when using them with a metallic smoker.
Compact and strong: The receiver is portable due to its precise dimensions of 107 x 52 x 25.6 mm. It is very lightweight, allowing you to carry it anywhere within the given range. The casing is made up of very durable ABS plastic. This material allows the device to be used in all kinds of conditions with minimum damage.
Configurable probe: The Thermoworks Smoke is a must-have for professionals because of its extremely versatile probes. Most users of another ilk of thermometers complain about not being able to detect which probe is which during operation as the displayed information hardly makes anything specific. With this smoker thermometer, you assign the tasks to the probe yourself making it easier for you to recognize the displayed information. Also, the probes are flexible, making their placement and use convenient as ever.
Use it on a large scale by adding more receivers: The company claims to have produced a thermometer that is tailored to suit the needs of professionals and commercial ventures. For an additional charge, you can divide the monitoring amongst other people working on-site. A single transmitter is able to send the information to more than one receiver. This adds efficiency and accuracy to the art of grilling.
- Food grade probes for healthy grilling
- The option to use a single transmitter with multiple receivers
- Large LCD with a backlight
- A 1-year guarantee provided by the company
- A bit heavier than other smoker thermometers
- L-shaped food probe might be off-setting for some people
- Not suitable for domestic, small-scale use
The intention of the company was to introduce a pro-smoker thermometer that included all the features that its competitors compromised on.
This fact has made the Thermoworks Smoke less user-friendly for amateurs and customers who wish to have a thermometer for their BBQ parties.
#4: GrillEye Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer
- 300' Bluetooth range*: Bluetooth connection enables users to monitor grilling temperatures from up to a 300 foot distance, without experiencing disconnections.
- 6 Probe ports: GrillEye allows easy monitoring of up to 6 different temperature probes at the same time.
- Dual temperature display: GrillEye displays, simultaneously, the current as well as the target temperature, using 2 different LED indicators.
- 2 in 1 Temperature Probes FDA approved for safe use with food. Includes 2 Pro-grade thermometer probes, made of space grade aluminum with flame-proof grip, and 2 clips for ambient temperature readings
- Elegant and rugged design: GrillEye is designed to withstand the roughest conditions during grilling and smoking, without losing its premium style that makes it stand out from the bunch.
This peculiar smoker thermometer differs from the rest in the aspect that it relies on Bluetooth for connectivity. You need to install the device’s dedicated application on your smartphone to allow for seamless information transmission over a range of 300 ft.
You can do away with carrying an additional device (the receiver) and put your own smartphone to use with the GrillEye Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer.
This smoker thermometer is an all-in-one package for people who don‘t wish to fill their pockets with another device at a BBQ party. Besides making grilling more accurate and less work, it offers you the following features:
Durable design: The receiver is made up of the latest space-grade aluminum. This metal makes it light in weight but very resistant to heat and other harms associated with grilling. It can fall from the highest of heights and still not bear a scratch.
Bluetooth connectivity to simplify grilling: It is wireless and uses Bluetooth. Stay up-to-date with the status of the meat and the smoker by just looking at your phone. Real-time notifications and alarms are issued to ensure a perfectly cooked meal.
Monitor up to 6 temperatures at once: The GrillEye Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer comes with 6 probes that you can customize to your own needs. Use these to monitor the smoker temperature, multiple meat temperatures and even the ambient temperature all at once. It comes with pre-installed professional cooking times and temperatures. So, even if you are new to grilling, this thermometer and its smartphone app will make sure you get everything right.
Anti-glare display: Even though the thermometer lacks the usual backlit display that many cooks prefer, it does have a screen that makes the display clear by offsetting any bright lights that might be a hindrance.
Dual temperature recording: Not only does the application display the temperature that has been set, but it also shows you the temperature that the stove or the meat is at currently. This gives you an accurate assessment of the time before your meals are ready.
- Lightweight and compact
- 6 probes allowing monitoring of multiple types of meat and smokers
- Durable body
- Compatible with all smartphones
- Option to choose from either pre-set library of cooking times and temperatures or to customize it to suit your needs
- Probes are approved by the FDA ensuring conservation of nutrients during grilling and healthy meals
- Might drain your phone’s battery as the Bluetooth needs to be continuously on
- Application errors are frequently encountered by many users
- Less accurate than most other smoker thermometers in the same price range
- Loses connectivity often
- Lack of magnetic back panel
On the whole, the GrillEye Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer works fine for people who grill only on occasions and are not easy with carrying an additional device.
This smart gauge can be made better by adding waterproof probes and improving the operation of the smartphone application.
A backlit display for the transmitter would increase user-friendliness. Nevertheless, for the price tag, the thermometer caters to cooking demands on a small-scale brilliantly.
#5: Thermoworks Chefalarm
Not everyone prefers a wireless operation. For those who wish to work with old-school smoker thermometers, the Thermoworks Chefalarm is perfect.
This single unit thermometer is planted close to the smoker and continues to display the temperature specifics for cooks who work close to the grill to satisfy the perfectionist in them.
The use of this thermometer is very straight-forward. Here is a concise list of features that make it one of the most sought-after thermometers:
Waterproof body: Since the thermometer is designed to be used close to the grill, it is made to withstand all kinds of splashes. It is able to resist very high temperatures.
Four feet long cable to permit multi-tasking: It does not allow wireless remote connectivity between a transmitter and its receiver. However, it does have a cable long enough to allow the single unit to be placed at a site away from the smoker without decreasing its recording precision. You can keep an eye on the real-time temperature recordings being displayed even when you need to work away from the smoker.
Very accurate recordings: Its mini-probe makes sure that you don’t miss any temperature reading ever. It can easily be calibrated as per need. Additional probes can be used to increase the number of temperatures that are being recorded. It detects even a single degree of change within a span of five seconds and displays the specifics immediately.
Loud alarm: No portable receiver to ring the alarm when needed? No problem! The 92dB loud in-built speaker in this all-encompassing single unit is audible enough to make sure that you don’t miss any alert.
Hence, Thermoworks Chefalarm is perfect for busy and crowded commercial kitchens. For colder items that need to be brought down to a certain temperature or need to be cooked cold can be notified about by a low alarm.
- Remarkable accuracy
- Modest price
- 4 ft. long cable making distant operation possible
- Loud alarm
- Strong built
- Available in a different variety of colors
- Only two probes can be used
- It does not allow remote operation. Can only be used next to the grill
Overall, the Thermoworks Chefalarm is a good option for chefs working in a commercial setting and those who prefer to grill the meat under their own supervision.
It also finds its application in different cooking competitions for use on-site in designated cooking spots. Accuracy makes it a professional first choice.
If you are someone who prefers to remotely monitor the grill machine; this is one thermometer you should never opt for. Adding the option for remote control of the device and increasing the number of probes can increase its utility.
Best Smoker Thermometer Buying Guide
To make the best use of the money you might have allocated for a smoker thermometer to make grilling safe, you need to make sure you take into account the features of the product and see if they are tailored to your use. The following are some of the specifications that you should be looking for in your next smoker temperature gauge:
Compact size and remote use
It should be convenient to carry and allow use over a considerable distance without any engaging wires. This eliminates the need for the client to stand near the hot grill. Life should not come to a standstill during a BBQ session to get that perfectly grilled meat.
Economical and easy repair
The device should not upset your budget. Always go for the company and the retailer offering you the most competitive prices. Not only the initial cost, but maintenance and repair of the item should be hassle-free as well.
Preferably wireless operation
Wireless operation is a hassle-free operation. The need for wires to connect the probes, smoker and the receiver can actually be counter-productive. This obsolete feature can considerably increase the number of work place accidents and may restrict movement on a BBQ party. The Maverick Wireless Smoker Thermometer is completely wire-free.
Waterproof probe and probe cables
It is highly desirable that you go for a smoker thermometer that has waterproof probes and waterproof cables. This feature will extend the use of the device from being restricted to ovens, smokers, and grills to include deep fryers and other devices that include monitoring the temperature of fluids such as oil or water.
Installed temperatures for various kinds of meat products
Having a smoker temperature gauge that has in-built settings for different kinds of grilled, baked and cooked items can help save you time and money. It makes cooking more straightforward as you need not Google the ideal temperatures for each kind of delicacy. Also, precision is substantially increased with pre-set optimum cooking temperature and time.
Always go for thermometers that come with more than 1 probe. Ideally, there should be at least 1 probe each for detecting the ambient temperature, the temperature of the smoker and for the meat. If you wish to buy a thermometer for a business or restaurant, you would need multiple probes to monitor multiple cuts of meat at once.
Probes that can be cleaned and disinfected easily
Hygiene is pivotal to enjoying food. Not only should the meals that you cook look and taste good, but they should also add to your well-being. The probes since they will be inserted in cooking systems and various other media need to be cleaned properly before they can be used again.
They should be corrosion-free and should be amenable to commonly used cleaning mechanisms. The harder they are to clean, the greater the decrease in the quality of the food being made.
Reliable warranty and repair services
The manufacturing company should offer repair services and warranty to ease things up for their customers. This is particularly true if they are offering basic smoker thermometers that are most likely to be used by amateurs.
Best Smoker Thermometer FAQS
Q1: What kinds of alerts does the receiver of a smoker thermometer issue?
You will be warned when you are out of the thermometer’s signal range. You are given the option to pre-set a range of temperatures or choose from the ones installed within it. Notifications are issued as soon as the temperatures exceed the range.
Q2: How can you increase the life of the probes?
The probes that accompany this smoker thermometer are sufficiently resistant to heat. But, wrapping around the probes a heat-resistant item such as foil paper can help decrease damage.
This is an important measure that should be undertaken to cut the number of repairs needed over time. Secondly, make sure that you go through the manual thoroughly. Avoid using the probe in oil or water as it is not waterproof.
Q3: How can I increase the precision of the device?
Probe placement is crucial to the success of any smoker thermometer. Make sure that the probe does not contact any surface other than the one for which the temperature needs to be monitored. The device will display the temperature of anything it is in physical contact with.
Q4: If the smoker that I use does not have any holes in it to house the cables for the thermometer, will I be able to use the probe with it safely by simply inserting the leads through the lid?
The latest grills and stoves have in-built compartments to allow any enhancements to be added to them. However, if your cooking range does not have the same features, it is preferred that you drill in it holes to make a safe passage for the cables of the probes and other components of the smoker thermometer.
This is because while you can insert them directly by lifting the rack or the lid of the stove/oven/grill, the cables will continuously be subjected to pressure. It will increase the chances of damaging the cable by introducing kinks into it.
Q5: Can I have my preferred units displayed?
Most smoker thermometers can be easily calibrated to your preferred units. You can choose between degrees Celsius and degrees Fahrenheit.
Q6: Is the thermometer capable of monitoring the temperature of the grill while cooking?
The latest smoker thermometers come with dual probes. You can insert one of them within the grill and the other on the meat that is being cooked. The device will display both temperatures from the corresponding probes at once.
If you are delving for the most reliable and professional smoker thermometer that you want to use without leaving your grill’s side, we prefer the Thermoworks Chefalarm.
However, it is wise to choose thermometers that can be used remotely. This allows you greater freedom of movement and increases work-place efficiency.
A wireless smoker thermometer that is suited for domestic and large-scale use without being overpriced is the Maverick Wireless Smoker Thermometer is the best option for you. We are confident about this because:
- It has an adequate operational range
- Offers a wide range of temperature and time settings
- Has a modest and budget-friendly price tag
- Can be used within the range of normal grilling temperature ranges
- Has a back-lit display that is always on
- Very user-friendly
The ThermoPro TP 17 (B07477NMF4) has the same specifications but for a higher price range and may not be a very economical choice under the same circumstances.
If you wish to acquire most of these features without having to carry an extra device with you, you can opt for the GrillEye Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer (B01N1N1J47).
However, you might realize that these thermometers are not very versatile in their mode of operation as others of their type, especially when it comes to using in ovens and deep fryers.
In the end, it all depends on the motivation for your purchase and needs. For more large-scale use, you might wish to look through other options such as the Thermoworks Smoke.