Tchoutchouka: Moroccan Roasted Pepper and Tomato Salad

With a husband who doesn’t eat green peppers and a daughter who doesn’t eat anything green (with the exception of green candy, of course) I had the entire tchoutchouka to myself. Talk about excitement. I would love for them to include the joy of green peppers in their life but I must admit that, secretly, I was happy I had no competition. Next time, I will be less selfish and make it with red peppers so they, too, can experience the wonders of this marvelous dish.

Tchouktchouka is as traditional a Moroccan dish as traditional can get. I kept the recipe authentic and unchanged in honor of generations and generations of cooks who made it the same way in every big town, small hamlet, and nameless village on the map of Morocco.

Dip your bread in it, serve it as a side dish, sandwich spread or Moroccan-style bruschetta on crusty whole-grain bread. It is guaranteed delicious any way you choose to eat it and well worth a try!

Tchoutchouka Recipe

2 medium green bell peppers
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground paprika

Line the surroundings of a gas burner with aluminum foil (you’ll be thankful you did when the pepper starts dripping its sticky juices). Turn on the flame to medium-high and char the peppers on all sides until blackened and blistered all over, about 10 minutes. Use tongs to turn them as they can get very hot.

Place the peppers in a paper bag and close it, for about 15 minutes, to allow the peppers to sweat and their skin to become softer. Peel the skin off the peppers using your fingers. Discard the stem and seeds. Finely dice the peppers. Set aside.

Place the tomatoes in a medium skillet with olive oil. Add the garlic and season the tomatoes with salt, pepper, cumin and paprika. Cook the tomatoes until they become soft and turn into somewhat of a thick, chunky sauce, 10 to 15 minutes. Mix in the diced peppers and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.

Serve with bread or crackers.

21 Responses to “Tchoutchouka: Moroccan Roasted Pepper and Tomato Salad”

elra — 12/07/2010 @ 3:06 am

This sounds so wonderful Nisrine !

Bria @ WestofPersia — 12/07/2010 @ 5:20 am

This sounds awesome. I am such a dippin' fool and I love my veggies, so this is right up my alley :-)

Sinful Southern Sweets — 12/07/2010 @ 10:58 am

Looks heavenly!

blackbookkitchendiaries — 12/07/2010 @ 7:02 pm

this sounds amazing:)

Bridgett — 12/07/2010 @ 9:17 pm

You are so creative! This would be fabulous to serve for a holiday party to impress the guests.

Chow and Chatter — 12/08/2010 @ 4:00 am

wow looks amazing J doesn't like green pepper, just adding Sumac chicken to blog and a big shout of to you hugs Rebecca

oh and if you ever want to mention your cookbook on my blog let me know

Rebecca

Damaris @Kitchen Corners — 12/08/2010 @ 7:01 am

This sounds perfect. It's like a bite of summer in winter.

Ana Powell — 12/08/2010 @ 10:37 am

Nice to be acquainted, I am a Chow and Chatter follower.
    Great Blog, lovely recipes and photos. Well done.
    Have a great week ♥

Deeba PAB — 12/08/2010 @ 10:52 am

This sounds absolutely finger licking good! Lucky you!

Joanne — 12/08/2010 @ 12:28 pm

I would totally be fine with having a whole bowl of this to myself. Looks delicious!

Dawn — 12/08/2010 @ 3:29 pm

I love fresh veggies and crusty bread. Mmmm…..

A Canadian Foodie — 12/09/2010 @ 2:01 am

Simple, fresh, nutritious – and it does sound delicious. I am not a cumin fan – in small doses, yes – and this looks yummy to me!

Kim — 12/09/2010 @ 5:41 am

You have a beautiful blog here! I could make a meal out of this roasted pepper and tomato salad. Looks delicious.

My husband and daughter can be picky also. While it does get a bit nerve-wracking at times, there are also times where I do enjoy the benefits.

dottie — 12/09/2010 @ 3:21 pm

i will also make this just for me, since my husband will not eat green peppers either, and enjoy every bit of it. sound delicious!

Green Girl @ A little bit of everything — 12/10/2010 @ 4:25 am

your peppery dish sounds so good. a taste of late summer during cold winter.
    thanks for sharing, hope you're having a wonderful week

Magic of Spice — 12/10/2010 @ 6:00 am

How wonderfully fresh and delicious :)
    I know what you mean about the green peppers and family preferences…Bravo, nice to have something just for you sometimes :)

Cherine — 12/10/2010 @ 8:01 am

This sounds so tasty Nisrine!

azélias kitchen — 12/11/2010 @ 10:23 am

This is the sort of dish my daughter and I would happily eat away as a snack with homemade pita bread!

the kind of dish once you start it's hard to stop eating!

Kulsum@JourneyKitchen — 12/12/2010 @ 2:29 pm

This is exactly my kind of thing. O makes me hungry! I actually love green bell pepper and I roast it along with yellow and red, and add sundried tomatoes and garlic. Thanks for posting. Just going to follow your twitter handle!

Karen — 01/10/2011 @ 2:18 am

Thanks for visiting my blog because now I've found yours! Absolutely beautiful photography and I love the different recipes that you make. I would love this tchouktchouka on some crusty bread with a nice glass of wine!

Liz — 04/25/2011 @ 6:07 pm

Nisrine, have you heard of a dish called shakshuka? It's very popular in Israel and it has its origins in North Africa (Tunisia, I believe). It's very similar to your recipe, except it's usually served in a pan, with poached eggs on top, and without the green peppers. The similarity of the names is striking. Another dish here that is very similar to your tchoutchouka is called matbucha; it's considered Moroccan in origin.