Hot Grapefruit Tea

A few months ago, I asked my Facebook friends the following question: “I have been dissatisfied with every brand of vitamins I tried. I’m almost giving up. Can anyone recommend a multivitamin they tried and liked?”

A few of my friends answered with brands of vitamins they liked (the liquid kind was a popular one) but one of them replied with “Try figs, dates, raisins… warm grapefruit juice with honey is a winner.”

I was surprised by his answer, to say the least. I had never heard of grapefruit juice being consumed warm or as a dietary supplement. All I knew was that it’s packed with vitamin C and that when I’m craving it badly, it usually means I’m about to get a cold and my immune system needs a boost. But that’s not what got me intrigued about it, I was simply curious about how it would taste.

Lo and behold, I gave warm grapefruit tea a try. I had a vanilla bean in the pantry that I thought would add a sweet aroma and milden the bitterness a bit. I threw in a few peppercorns and hoped for the best. The grapefruit tea came out very tasty. Every warm sip held notes of vanilla and just a hint of heat from the pepper. It was a great cup that I would most definitely make again.

Hot Grapefruit Tea Recipe

1 serving

1 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
1 inch vanilla bean, split and scraped*
2 peppercorns
Honey, to taste (optional)

Place all the ingredients except the honey in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Discard the vanilla and peppercorns. Taste and sweeten with honey, if you wish. Serve warm.

*Split the vanilla bean lenghtwise and scrape its seeds with a paring knife. Add both the bean and the seeds to the juice.

24 Responses to “Hot Grapefruit Tea”

Angie's Recipes — 01/22/2011 @ 2:04 pm

wow I want one large cup! LOoks so good!

Kulsum@JourneyKitchen — 01/22/2011 @ 2:22 pm

I so want this now. I remember the furit tea we used to have in Turkey and even though I loved apple and everything else, the pomegranate and citrus teas are my favorite!

♥peachkins♥ — 01/22/2011 @ 2:29 pm

I make hot calamondin this side of the globe…

La Table De Nana — 01/22/2011 @ 9:47 pm

I would love some right now:) It's beautiful..
    I made your preserved ginger and chick pea soup:) WE love both..Thanks!

tifanie — 01/22/2011 @ 10:17 pm

that sounds delicious!! :::

Erica — 01/22/2011 @ 11:39 pm

What a fabulous suggestion. I love grapefruit and am loving that it is on sale right now.

bellini valli — 01/23/2011 @ 10:10 am

Your reader gave some very sage advise to try and get as much of our Vitamin content from a well balanced diet. My curiosity is peaked by this grapefruit tea. I usually head for hot tea, hiney and lemon when I am catching a cold.

Lynne — 01/23/2011 @ 11:20 am

How interesting! I love grapefruit juice so know I will love this tea. The peppercorns must give it a nice little kick. Grapefruit juice is readily available which will make this tea a zip to make. Thanks.

Joanne — 01/23/2011 @ 12:46 pm

I love the idea of eating real food for vitamins instead of taking actual vitamins. Your body deals with them so much better that way, anyway!

I love grapefruits so I'm sure this tea would be my kind of beverage!

Cathy — 01/23/2011 @ 1:33 pm

This does sound delicious and very warming. What a lovely way to get more Vitamin C.

Kerstin — 01/24/2011 @ 2:29 am

What a lovely tea, my hubby would especially love it!

Sanura at MyLifeRunsOnFood.com — 01/24/2011 @ 4:35 am

The peppercorn is the surprise ingredient in this tea. I love warming my grapefruit in the oven for a few minutes in the winter.

Dana — 01/24/2011 @ 7:54 am

I have never been much of a grapefuit lover, but I like the idea of the peppercorns and vanilla in there!

Emily @ Beauties and the Feast — 01/24/2011 @ 5:49 pm

I love grapefruit and grapefruit juice, but I've never thought to try it warm! Did you squeeze a grapefruit or just use store bought juice? Sounds interesting, I can't wait to try this!

A Canadian Foodie — 01/25/2011 @ 6:25 am

Where did your research take you on this one? What is it to be good for? Just tonight I learned that a glass of grapefruit juice before "pigging out" is supposedly going to reduce the fat gained by the pig out.

Sarah — 01/25/2011 @ 7:39 pm

I popped over from La Table de Nana this morning. Happy to find you. I spent time in Marrakech a few years ago. It was one my all time favorite trips. The fresh scent of oranges comes to mind immediately. The grapefruit tea sounds delightful. We have a big bowl of fresh grapefruits sitting in the kitchen so I'll try it later today. Thank you! ~ Sarah

Tanvi@Sinfully Spicy — 01/25/2011 @ 8:19 pm

This is new to me.Looks amazing!Reading through ingredients I know I m gonna love this.

Nisrine Merzouki — 01/25/2011 @ 10:51 pm

Canadian Foodie, I didn't do research. I made it mainly because I love grapefruit and wanted to try it warm.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) — 01/26/2011 @ 12:00 am

Hot tea with honey was always the cure my mother tried when I was sick, but I never liked it (and still don't). Warm grapefruit juice, however, sounds delicious. I'm not going to wait until I have a cold to try this!

Stephanie — 01/27/2011 @ 3:46 am

This is new to me too. Sounds like a warm, comforting beverage to enjoy when not feeling 100%. I like the idea of adding peppercorns and vanilla bean too. Thanks for sharing!

kellypea — 01/27/2011 @ 3:19 pm

What a great idea! I love them grilled, so why not? The peppercorns in the mix sound interesting, too. I need to try this :)

Lauren — 01/28/2011 @ 1:05 pm

This sounds really delicious, I make fresh ginger tea and I'm thinking the grapefruit could be the perfect addition. I also juice and I may try some of them warm, great idea.

Magic of Spice — 01/29/2011 @ 7:14 am

What a wonderful idea…and a glorious sounding tea :) I love the bit of spiciness here from the peppercorns.

sophiesfoodiefiles — 01/31/2011 @ 9:19 pm

MMMMM,..what a delightful red grapefruit tea infused with fresh vanilla!

I must make this tomorrow moring because I have red grapefruits at home! Thanks!!!!