Moroccan Lentil Salad

The school year is almost over and I’m so excited about my summer. I will certainly miss my rascally-cherubic students but I’m just as ready as they are for a break. My beach bag is packed and I can’t wait for the weekend!

I have been meaning to post a lentil salad for a long time and I finally made it when I felt like it was time to come back to my senses and switch from hot soups to cold salads, especially now that all I can think of is water, sand and salt. A cold lentil salad would make a perfect lunch for a day at the beach, indeed.

Picture from last year’s vacation in Newport

Moroccan Lentil Salad Recipe

1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed
3 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove
Sea salt

1 cup minced yellow, green and red bell peppers
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Dressing
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice (or 2 tbsps white vinegar)
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Ground pepper, to taste

Place the lentils, water, bay leaf, garlic clove and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer for bout 15 minutes or until the water evaporates and the lentils are tender. Discard the bay leaf and garlic. Let cool.

Transfer the lentils to a large bowl. Add the peppers and cilantro. In a small bowl, whisk the ingredients for the dressing and add to the lentils. Stir to combine.

Let this salad sit for a while so the flavors can amalgamate. Serve it chilled or at room temperature.

14 Responses to “Moroccan Lentil Salad”

Kalyn — 06/06/2011 @ 11:13 pm

I like every type of lentil salad, and this one has two of my favorite ingredients (cilantro and mayonnaise). Definitely would like it!

Ilke — 06/07/2011 @ 1:38 am

Never made one with mayo, will give it a try next time. I put cumin and paprika in most of my legume dishes too, gives such a great flavor!
    Lucky you that you have a packed beach bag waiting for you! Where are you off to? I would love to go on a beach trip soon!

kellypea — 06/07/2011 @ 2:40 am

This sounds wonderful. I love lentils and forget how quickly they cook. Best to you as you begin your summer vacation. Oh, the memories! Love that beautiful Newport photo!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) — 06/07/2011 @ 3:38 am

this sound hearty and good.

Kathy — 06/07/2011 @ 8:47 am

hello

Good Day, i just want you to know that i really enjoy looking arround in your website
    and thanks for sharing imformation

-kathy

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen — 06/07/2011 @ 11:18 am

We are definitely on the same wave length. I'm planning to serve a lentil salad for lunch this week. The peppers in your recipe give is such color. Great idea.
    Sam

Nuts about food — 06/07/2011 @ 11:27 am

What a perfect way to use lentils in the summer. I am sure many people only think of using them in the winter because they are considered hearty and comforting, but this sounds extremely refreshing. Lucky you, going on vacation for the summer!

cookinghealthyforme — 06/07/2011 @ 11:34 am

Looks delicious – enjoy the beach!

My Little Expat Kitchen — 06/07/2011 @ 11:40 am

What a gorgeous salad Nisrine. I adore lentils, they're my favorite legume and it is such a shame people don't eat more of it.
    I can't wait to leave for vacation myself!
    Magda

Rebecca from Chow and Chatter — 06/07/2011 @ 11:45 pm

wow this looks so so good adore lentils and so healthy enjoy some deserved time of

Indie.Tea — 06/08/2011 @ 9:48 am

The lentils sound very good. Very easy, nice because you are likely to have the ingredients on hand (no grocery store run!)…and healthy. Yum.

Joanne — 06/08/2011 @ 10:53 am

This is exactly the kind of salad I love to take for lunch! Especially with all these fabulous spices!

blackbookkitchendiaries — 06/08/2011 @ 11:40 am

this looks so pretty:) i cant wait to make some soon. thank you for sharing this.

parisbreakfast — 02/21/2012 @ 5:54 am

I practically live on French lentils + quinoa, so this is perfect.