Popovers are the best kinds of snacks to pair up with the on-going NFL fever. There is no game night without a bite-size delight straight out of the oven to match the festivities.
It does not need mastery in culinary arts to understand that the most important ingredient to get popovers right is to use the right kind of pan. They need to be hollow but puffed up to perfection.
To make your evening snacks better than ever, you need a dedicated popover pan. Here is a review of the best popover pans to help them pop like never before.
Best Popover Pans Reviewed
1. Bellemain 6 Cup Nonstick Popover Pan
When it comes to attaining perfection, Bellemain offers a pan that outdoes most of its competitors. The Bellemain 6 Cup Nonstick Popover Pan is the best combination of quality, durability, and affordability.
- Vertical cups (2.25"D x 3" diameter) for maximum rise
- Nonstick finish lets popovers slide right out
- Durable, welded metal
- Dishwasher safe
- Overall pan dimensions: 16
The Bellemain 6 Cup Nonstick Popover Pan is a one-stop solution to all your baking problems. The following features make it an ideal investment:
Budget-friendly: Compared to other pans of its kind, this particular one has remarkable quality and endurance at a very modest price.
Tall, airy popovers in the shortest time: The cups are perhaps the tallest ones to come with a popover pan. They measure 2.25 inches in depth, which is almost twice that of conventional muffin and pudding pans. The design is overall crafted to allow proper aeration of the wells to give you popovers that are puffed up to the right degree.
Nonstick to appease the perfectionists: The tall cups are completely nonstick to easily house the batter till it bakes without offering any resistance to the removal of the popovers. The sleek design means that you do not need to apply butter or oil beforehand to prevent the popover from breaking. However, you can still brush grease slightly to stay faithful to the recipe.
Efficient baking: The dark color of the pan allows even and quick absorption of heat to give you the most delicious popovers in the shortest time possible.
- Versatile- perfect for popovers and muffins
- Efficient heat conduction through aluminized steel
- Dishwasher friendly
- Can choose between 6 and 12 cups
- Lifetime warranty
- A limited number of cups i.e. only six
#2: Chicago Metallic Professional Popover Pan
If you are on the pursuit of a versatile pan that makes popovers like the ones they have in quality bakeries, your search ends right here. The Chicago Metallic Professional Popover Pan is the best choice for baking muffins and popovers, all with one tray.
The diverse cups allow air to enter and house within the batter to fill the popovers properly. This dedicated pan has individual wells that are tapered to give you the perfectly shaped muffins, popovers, and Yorkshire puddings.
- MULTIPLE BAKING USES: The Chicago Metallic Popover Pan can be used to bake traditional popovers, Yorkshire puddings, and can also be used to make traditional muffins
- SUPERIOR HEAT CONDUCTION AND EVEN BAKING: This pan is made from heavy-weight aluminized steel for superior heat conduction and even baking
- NON-STICK PAN: The pan is silicone based and has a non-stick coating for easy release, ease of baking and clean up
- MEASUREMENTS: This pan bakes 12 airy popovers; each cup measures 2.75 inches by 2.25 inches; the total pan measures 15.5 inches by 9 inches by 2.5 inches
- DISHWASHER SAFE: This pan is dishwasher safe, however hand-washing is recommended to extend the product life
Chicago Metallic Professional Popover Pan makes baking a convenient affair. People who love to bake but hate cleaning will find it to be very user-friendly. Here are some of the pan’s traits that make it a popular choice for use at home and in bakeries:
Meets many needs: The cups are designed to meet many baking requirements at once. They measure 2.25 inches x 2 inches, fulfilling the baking criteria for muffins and popovers- a feature that is not usually found in traditional pans.
Lightweight and nonstick design: Aluminized steel is used to build the wells and the pan. The material is sufficiently light in weight but has a very high endurance to breakage and scratches. You can use it and clean it as many times as you want without the need for replacement. The nonstick silicone coating remains intact and the aluminized steel makes sure that heat is conducted efficiently.
Option to choose the pan size that suits you: Unlike other pans, the Chicago Metallic Professional Popover Pan comes in two variants based on the number of wells: It has one with 6 cups and the other with 12 cups.
High-temperature tolerance: This professional baking must-have item can be used at very high temperatures without any fear of damage. It can be heated in the oven up to 450°F / 232°C.
- Versatile- perfect for popovers and muffins
- Efficient heat conduction through aluminized steel
- Dishwasher friendly
- Can choose between 6 and 12 cups
- Lifetime warranty
- Aluminized steel is not as durable as carbon steel
3. Nordic Ware Cast Aluminum Petite Popover Pan
The Nordic Ware Cast Aluminum Petite Popover Pan is a product of the marriage of durability and ease. It is light in weight, an excellent conductor of heat and is designed specifically to allow air entry into bite-size baking delights.
- Bite size version of our classic popover pan
- Makes 12 petite popovers
- Nonstick coating for easy food release and cleanup
- Hand wash with mild detergent
- Made in the USA
Nobody wishes to end up with a pan that produces sub-optimum popovers, an unfortunate event that can potentially ruin a good snack time and with the Nordic Ware Cast Aluminum Petite, you don’t have to worry about that.
It is easy to handle: The pan comes with two very comfortable handles added to both sides to make the placement of the tray comfortable for the baker.
It is corrosion-resistant and safe to use: It is made up of stainless steel, a material that ensures life-long use and regular washing without even a speck of rust affecting it.
It allows a batch of 12 popovers at once: The difference between the Nordic Ware Cast Aluminum Petite Popover Pan and other pans is that it permits you to bake a batch of 12 popovers and muffins in one-go, saving you time and money.
It makes cleaning easy: The solid, no-space tray design ensures batter loading that is not messy. Unlike cups loaded on spaced frames, any batter spillage is prevented from dripping down by the stainless steel plate that can be cleaned easily.
It is non-stick: The safe nonstick coating ensures unscathed removal of bite-size popovers from the wells. Also, it decreases the need for butter and oil traditionally brushed onto the old pans to prevent the popovers from getting stuck within the cup.
- Make 12 popovers at once
- Efficient aeration and heating
- Durable design
- Handles allow easy use
- It only allows for bite-size popovers.
- Cleaning is laborious as it is not dishwasher friendly
4. Wilton Giant Cupcake Pan
Some people are a big fan of large popovers because small single-bite snacks just do not satisfy them. If you hail from the traditional, large popovers lover club, then this pan will be most suited for you.
- READY, SET, BAKE: Bigger is definitely better when it comes to muffins and cupcakes with this jumbo muffin and cupcake pan. This giant cupcake and muffin pan can also be used for angel food cakes, to mold gelatin, ice cream or mousse
- PERFORMANCE: The durable steel construction of this muffin pan is designed to spread heat throughout the pan evenly and to prevent warping. The large handles make this pan easy to transfer to and from the oven, even while wearing oven mitts
- NON- STICK: No matter what you're making, the durable non-stick and scratch-resistant coating on our muffin pan allows your food to slide or pop out easily, making cleanup almost effortless
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS: This Wilton muffin and cupcake pan is dishwasher safe; however for best results, wash in warm, soapy water before first and after each use
- INCLUDES: 1 giant cupcake and muffin pan, dimensions: 8.75 x 13.5 x 2 in. (22.2 x 34.3 x 5 cm); Cavity size: 4 in. dia. x 1.75 in. (10 cm diam x 4.5 cm). Limited 5-year warranty
The Wilton Giant Cupcake Pan stays true to its name and offers the largest popovers that are baked to perfection. The enormous wells measure 4 x 1.75 inches housed in a considerably user-friendly sized tray. Following specifications make it a valuable popover pan:
Aluminized steel-built for optimum baking: The material used to make the tray and the cups make heat conduction effective and efficient. It is non-porous and non-reactive, promising a long life.
Warp-free diverse design: You can use the pan to bake popovers at high temperatures and even store it in the freezer for various purposes. Thanks to its ideal design and material, it will never distort at any extreme temperature.
Giant wells: Each cup is 4 inches in diameter and 1.75 inches deep, allowing you to bake the puffiest popovers at home.
Nonstick operation: Maintain the ideal popover shape and design with the Wilton Giant Cupcake Pan as it has a completely non-adherent surface that makes removal of baked items easy. The cleaning is also simplified.
- Large popovers can be baked
- Rust-free and stainless material
- Compact design
- Can be used to freeze items
- It is dishwasher friendly but for better durability hand scrub it
5. Fox Run 4868 Muffin Pan
This is one of the best popover pans of the new decade with its sturdy design and healthy nonstick characteristics. The major difference between this pan and others of its category is that it does not incorporate Teflon or other volatile nonstick coatings that might give off unsafe fumes during baking. You can bake puffy popovers at high temperatures in the oven with the Fox Run 4868 Muffin Pan.
- DURABLE DESIGN: This cupcake pan is suitable and designed for any lifestyle. It's stain, scratch, and rust resistant surface so that will not warp or corrode, making it ready to go when you are.
- SLEEK STAINLESS STEEL CONSTRUCTION ensures that this lightweight muffin pan is long-lasting and easy to clean, so it can be ready to go when you are.
- 12-ITEM CAPABILITY: With 12 individual slots, this pan is ideal for party prep or personal use. Try using it for cupcakes, muffins, cornbread, and more!
- DISHWASHER SAFE: Non-reactive and nonporous, this tray has the ability to withstand extreme temperatures and heavy scrubbing. It's also dishwasher safe, making it that much easier to clean.
- MEASUREMENTS: This muffin pan weighs 14.4 ounces and has dimensions of 10.5 x 13.75 x 1.25 inches.
A popover pan that has a durable design, even heat conduction and an optimum number of cups at a budget-friendly price is not hard to find with Fox Run at your service.
It is one of the many popover trays from the trusted bake-ware company. While the name might be misleading, the pan itself is very versatile and can be used for both muffins and popovers.
12 spacious, tapering cups: The internal diameter of the wells is approximately 2 inches at the lowest aspect and the tray itself measures 10.5 x 13.75 x 1.25 inch. Each cup is separated from the other sufficiently to make pouring of the batter easier and to keep the popovers separate as they pop out.
100 percent stainless steel body: The tray is made up of rust-proof stainless steel. This prolongs the life of the pan and also simplifies cleaning it up. It is strong and resistant to all kinds of scratches. Heat conduction is uniform and quick, making baking an effortless task.
Dishwasher friendly: You can safely clean the tray in a dishwasher without any problems of breakage or scratches, as it is robust in design.
Multipurpose: The pan can be used to make muffins and small cupcakes besides popovers.
- Versatile use
- Dishwasher friendly
- Can make 12 popovers
- Might be expensive for some customers
- More suitable for muffins
6. USA Pans 6-Well Popover Pan
Any list is incomplete without the mention of the marvelous USA Pans 6-Well Popover Pan that promises to help make baking fun and easy. The company has been ranked as the leading manufacturer of professional bake-ware that is accompanied by a lifetime warranty.
It is not only user-friendly and economical, but it is also gentle on the environment. The metal used to make this peculiar tray is recycled and the trademark Americoat keeps all baking emissions to a minimum.
- Commercial Grade, Heavy Gauge Popover Pan; Makes 6 Popovers
- Constructed of Aluminized Steel; USA Pan Uses 65 Percent Recycled Steel to Manufacture Their Products
- Coated with Americoat; Silicone Coating on Top and Bottom to Create a Non-Stick Surface
- Americoat Does Not Contain PTFE's or PFOA's; Silicone is a Natural Substance
- Made by USA Pans in Pittsburgh, PA; The Largest Worldwide Manufacturer of Commercial Bakeware
The USA Pans 6-Well Popover Pan is the perfect kitchen companion for your next snack party. The specifications that make it stand out from the rest are:
Safe nonstick coating: The pan is covered with a bilayer of natural silicone that makes it non-adherent to the batter and the baked product without posing any harm to the health. The material is nonvolatile and nonflammable to help it withstand temperatures as high as 400 degrees. There are no PTFE or PFOA’s in the coating material.
Compatible with all oven sizes: It comes in a standard size of 15.75 by 11.25-inch which allows it to fit easily in smaller ovens.
Robust design: The tray is manufactured from 65 percent recycled aluminized steel, which makes it strong. Cleaning the tray by scrubbing it can be undertaken without any damage.
Fluted design to allow efficient heating: The wells are evenly and adequately spaced to permit easy batter pouring without creating a lot of mess on the tray. The body of the pan bears intricate flutes to assist in quick heat conduction that bakes the popovers thoroughly in a very short time.
- Health friendly
- Recycling and safe coating make it environmentally friendly
- Easily cleaned
- Spacious popover wells
- Precise, fluted design
- FDA approved material used
- Few reports of distortion of the pan at temperatures above 400 degrees
- Not dishwasher friendly
7. Fox Run 4866 Mini Muffin Pan
Another popover pan by Fox Run is its 4866 mini muffin pan. This is a hot-selling item in the commercial baking clientele. The tray can hold 24 mini popovers and can be used to make muffins as well.
We consider it a fine addition to our list because of its compact design that offers two comfortable handles on either side.
- MINI MUFFIN MAGIC: With 24 mini molds, this long-lasting pan is up for the challenge. Whether it's a family baking project, or school bake sale, it's sure to be a hit.
- DURABLE DESIGN: This baking mold is made from lightweight but durable and sleek stainless steel.
- HEAVY DUTY CAPABILITY: Non-reactive and nonporous, has the ability to withstand extreme temperatures and heavy scrubbing.
- WEAR-RESISTANT: Constructed with stain, scratch, and rust-resistant surface that won't rust or corrode over time.
- MEASUREMENTS: This cupcake pan weighs 14.1 ounces and has dimensions of 10.5 x 13.75 x 1.5 inches.
The Fox Run 4866 Mini Muffin Pan offers you an optimum quality at the most competitive price. Whether it is for business or an at-home snack party, the tray’s user-friendliness and 24 cups reduce the time spent in the kitchen.
Efficient bite-size baking: This pan allows you to bake one-bite popovers, muffins and other delicacies with the utmost ease. The tray has been designed to pave the path for efficient conduction of heat.
Proper aeration and light-weight: Popovers are made more palatable when they are filled with air. The tray is easy to carry and is manufactured to permit airflow in and out of the wells easily. Popovers are made more palatable when they are filled with air. The smooth seams further aid baking by housing the popovers even when they are puffed up to exactness.
Durable stainless steel design: Its stainless steel body makes it resistant to abrasion, fractures, and distortion at high baking temperatures.
- A large number (24) of popovers can be made at once
- Dishwasher friendly
- Strong built
- Comfortable handles
- Cups cannot be separated from the tray
- More suitable for cupcakes and muffins
- Only bite-size popovers can be baked
8. Fox Run 4754 Linking Popover Pan
Even though a vast range of Fox Run’s muffin trays is being utilized successfully for making popovers, the manufacturer has recently rolled out for its customers the popover-tailored Fox Run 4754 Linking Popover Pan.
- NON-STICK: Constructed of durable carbon steel with our exclusive premium non-stick coating
- GET CREATIVE: In addition to popovers, try using this baking pan for muffins, cupcakes, and more!
- UPGRADE YOUR TREATS: The unique wire rack allows for even heat and air distribution, ensuring an evenly cooked result.
- PICTURE-PERFECT POPOVERS: Thanks to a special steep wells design, all your treats will have crispy sides and a beautifully puffed top.
- CARE AND SIZE: Dishwasher Safe, top rack recommended. 6 Non-Stick, Food Safe Cups.
It is different from others of its family in its design: this linking popover pan consists of a sturdy wire rack housing 6 non-stick wells that measure 2.75” in diameter.
Like the other popover pans on this list, it has everything that one looks for in a popover pan, the most sought-after trait being a pathway for air that can fill in these snacks to help them live up to their name. The Fox Run 4754 Linking Popover Pan is packed with the following amazing features:
Nonstick wells: The cups inserted in this linking pan are coated with a natural nonstick coating, preserving the wellness of your popovers without compromising on their form. Remove the popovers fresh and hot immediately without even a crumb of it adhering to the well’s insides.
Option to choose from 6 or 12 cups: You are given the liberty to choose the number of wells. You can load the tray with either 6 or 12 wells. However, to allow proper aeration, it is recommended that you opt for 6 cups at a time.
Carbon steel body: The wire rack and cups are made up of carbon steel. This material adds strength and resistance to the design without increasing the weight.
Deep and tall wells: The cups are specifically designed to conform to the traditional shape of popovers. It is 2.25 inches at the top and 1.5 inches at the bottom, giving the taper that you need.
- Large traditional popovers can be made in a short time
- Adequate airflow
- Strong design
- Deep wells
- It is not dishwasher friendly
9. Anolon 6-Cup Steel Popover Pan
This particular popover pan is the perfect addition to your bakeware collection. It is designed to give you flawlessly puffed up and crispy popovers that can be made efficiently thanks to its design that allows easy air-flow.
- The popover pan is specifically designed to maximize heat distribution through and around each cup for consistent results with each batch
- The nonstick popover pan's durable carbon steel construction resists warping and delivers solid heating throughout each cup
- Nonstick inside and out helps promote even popover browning and efficient baked good release
- The pan is oven safe to 450 degrees Fahrenheit; hand wash recommended
- Anolon advanced Bakeware is the perfect complement to the rest of the Anolon advanced collections
The Anolon 6-Cup Steel Popover Pan is one of the best popover pans because it is a few of the only ones available in the market that are designed to specifically bake popovers. It is a customer favorite because of its traits, like:
Resistance to high temperature: Unlike many other popover pans available, this one is able to withstand temperatures above 400 degrees sans becoming distorted or damaged.
Strong and efficient design: The linking pan is manufactured for an unhindered airflow through the wells. Carbon steel is used to construct it, which is an excellent heat conductor. This feature ensures very crispy and ideally baked popovers every time.
Nontoxic coating: The pan is covered with a nonstick layer that does not include the extremely harmful and volatile PFOA.
- Strong and durable
- Non-stick without PFOA
- Endures very high temperatures i.e. above 450 degrees
- Cannot be cleaned in a dishwasher
- Only 6 popovers can be made at any one time.
10. CHEF MADE Popover Cake Pan
The tenth trusted best popover pan is the CHEF MADE Popover Cake Pan. It is particularly recommended for people who wish to use little to no oil when baking popovers. The silicone-coated non-stick carbon steel construction tray is optimum for use on a domestic as well as on a commercial scale.
- Safe and Health : Food-grade Silicone coating, non-Teflon, no harmful substance release in high temperature ,PTFE & PFOA FREE
- Commercial Grade : Adopts thickened 0.8mm carbon steel to accelerate even heat. Strengthened edge to convenient use and avoid warping. Ensure longer service life
- Easy to Use : Excellent non-stick can be achieved with less natural cooking oil. Less baking time and low energy consumption. Release easier Clean easier
- Make You Chef : Quickly make high quality family dishes, afternoon tea, banquet desserts and other delicacies. Easy to deal with daily cooking, family dinner, friends gathering, festival celebrations, etc. Spend less time and have more fun
- Best After-Sales : CHEFMADE highly value customers' satisfaction and tolerate zero quality issue. If you’re not thrilled with its construction or performance, please let us know. We will find a solution - refund or replacement - that you satisfy
If you are looking for a popover pan that is versatile in its use, is economical and works perfectly every single time, then this popover cake pan might be a good option for you. It is made up of high-grade carbon steel that helps it endure the harsh conditions of small and large kitchens without getting damaged. Besides durability and endurance, its other features are:
Excellent aeration and heat conduction: The linking apparatus holds the popover cups, up to 12 at a time depending on your preference, while maintaining sufficient airflow. The unhindered aeration means that you get puffy popovers whenever you use this pan. In addition, the heat conduction in this tray is efficient, shortening the time spent baking.
Savings on bills: Not only is this pan modestly priced, but it also decreases the amount of heat and time needed to get the perfect popovers. Hence, lesser gas is consumed, offloading some of your financial burdens.
Heat tolerance up to 428 degrees: The pan can easily withstand the normal oven temperatures needed to bake popovers without getting distorted.
Safe coating: The natural silicone coating makes the pan nonstick without using PTFE, PFOA, and Teflon.
- Safe and healthy silicone coating
- Strong design
- Efficient baking
- Proper aeration
- Carbon steel body, which is resistant to corrosion and scratches
- Unsuitable for temperatures exceeding 428 degrees.
- It cannot be cleaned in a dishwasher.
Best Popover Pan Buyer’s Guide
The market is flooded with popover pans of all kinds. Each company, in its attempt to maintain its share of clientele and expand it, has included all the latest features in its bakeware. Choosing the right popover pan has become a very difficult task.
In the end, it all comes down to your specific needs which will act as the main determinants of the kind of popover pan you should spend your money on. Below is a list of features that will help make the choice more straightforward for you:
Size of the oven
Popover pans come in a great variety of sizes. You need to choose the size that will fit perfectly in your oven. It is wise to go for a standard size such that it will easily insert in the smallest baking oven.
Choosing a large one will be problematic in the long run because it might hinder proper air and heat flow. The incorrect size will also lead to the popovers touching the top of your oven, ruining their glistening crunchy tops.
Number of cups that are needed
Usually, a popover pan with 6 cups is preferred. There are others that might contain 12 or 24 wells. Go for the number that will make baking easy, take up less of your time, and suit your needs.
For instance, if you need a pan for your bakery, you might wish to get the one with 12 or 24 cups to allow you to make a greater number of popovers quickly.
The extent of versatility required
These pans can be used to make popovers only or they may be used for making muffins, cupcakes, and Yorkshire puddings as well. This will depend on your requirements.
Type of nonstick coating
Based on health concerns, you might have a preference for non-Teflon bakeware, which is a wise decision. Try to read through the construction material used in making the pan and its nonstick coating to guide your choice of popover trays. Lately, natural silicone-coated pans are in-vogue because they are considered relatively safer.
Frequently Asked Question About Popover Pans
Q1: What benefit does a popover pan have over the traditional muffin trays?
Generally, popovers need to have a taller and deeper well than a normal muffin tray allows. They also require proper airflow to puff them up just enough.
All of this cannot be done in a muffin pan because it does not have any feature for aeration and this is why most people cannot get their popovers to be as perfect as the ones they have in a bakery. A dedicated popover pan will fulfill the criteria.
Q2: Should I go for a linked popover pan or a tray?
It is recommended to go for a linked popover pan with removable wells as they are better able to make way for air. Cleaning is considerably easier. With a tray, handling and cleaning might be difficult. Heat conduction is also relatively inefficient in the latter.
Q3: Can I do away with the oil and butter coating when using a nonstick popover pan?
If the recipe requires you to brush the inside of the cups with butter, oil or any other greasy item to prevent sticking of the batter, then you should definitely do it.
Most nonstick pans do not need this measure, but over time, the coating might become unreliable. So, it is better that you use a very small amount of grease prior to pouring the butter.
Q4: What is the best way to clean a popover pan?
Pans differ in their mode of cleaning. Some might be dishwasher friendly, others might be not. Nevertheless, each type needs some kind of manual cleaning before putting it in the dishwasher or subjecting it to hand scrubbing.
Immediately after baking, take a paper towel to clean off the solid detachable particles.
Then, use a mild soap that does not contain any kind of abrasive and use a soft sponge to get rid of any hard-to-remove stains. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions about cleaning to prolong life.
Q5: Can I use a popover pan safely in a preheated oven?
It is always prudent to read the manual and specifications of a particular product before using it. Depending on the material used to construct the pan and the maximum temperature tolerated by it, you may use it either in a preheated oven or place it directly to be heated up to the baking temperature safely as long as the heat does not exceed the endurable range.
All things considered, we think the top popover pan has to be the Bellemain 6 Cup Nonstick Popover Pan. Our conclusion is based on the facts that:
- It is economical
- It is nonstick
- It has a wire framework that allows proper aeration
- It is easily available
- It has perfectly tapered, deep 2.25″D x 3″ diameter cups that will make the most scrumptious popovers ever.
If you are a fan of larger popovers and the tray-type bakeware, then in nearly the same price range is the Wilton Giant Cupcake Pan. Both of these pans make 6 popovers at a time, with the second one even being fit for baking muffins.
Wrapping it up, the best popover pan for you might be different from the ones we have chosen because of your very unique needs. Hoping this review has helped you, in one way or another, to strengthen your popover game.
1 thought on “10 Best Popover Pans for 2022 (Reviews & Buyer’s Guide)”
I have bought the Fox Run popover pans and used the recipe from the box to make popovers. I have made them 4 times and I was very disappointed in them what am I doing wrong.