I’ve never eaten with a shepherd, but I know if I ever did, he would serve me a lively salad with cucumbers and olives from his orchard, and plenty of sheep’s milk cheese that he made himself. I just know it.
He would be humble and hospitable, and we would candidly eat, talk and laugh as if we had known each other for ages. Our conversation would be as honest as the ingredients in his salad and we would remember both for a very long time.
My dream of eating with a shepherd will come true one day. I’m not sure if it’ll happen in Greece, Turkey, Portugal, Morocco, Syria or Egypt but I know it will happen.
Meanwhile, I have this salad to keep me happy.
SHEPHERD’S SALAD RECIPE
Yield: 4 SERVINGS
Total Time: 10 MINUTES
This salad is wonderful with grilled meats. You can easily make it at the last minute but it tastes better if you let it sit for a little while before serving.
For the salad
- 1 English or Armenian cucumber, quartered and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large tomato, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Step 1: Place all the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl.
Step 2: Whisk all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl.
Step 3: Add the dressing to the salad and toss to combine.
Step 4: Serve at room temperature. If the ingredients are cold from refrigeration, let them come to room temperature before serving.