Looking for an excuse to make chocolate truffles? Here is a couple.
1. Chocolate fixes all problems, especially when in truffle form.
2. Chocolate is a great way to say “I love you” to yourself.
3. Chocolate gives you sexier legs.
4. Chocolate improves your odds of winning the lottery.
5. Chocolate makes the world go round.
When challenged to make something that does all of this and more for Go Ahead Honey, it’s gluten-free, I had to make chocolate truffles.
Cream Cheese Chocolate Truffles Recipe
Makes 16 truffles
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, preferably at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee (or liqueur of choice), optional
- 10 ounces good-quality bittersweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or finely shredded coconut, for coating
In a large bowl, stir the cream cheese well until fluffy. Stir in the vanilla extract and coffee or liqueur. Melt the chocolate in the microwave and slowly add it to the cream cheese while stirring. Continue stirring until the white from the cheese is no longer visible and the mixture is uniformly brown.
Refrigerate for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Using a teaspoon, scoop out the chocolate and shape it into 1-inch balls.
Place the cocoa powder or shredded coconut in a shallow dish and roll the truffles in the coating.
Note: Refrigerate leftovers. Allow them to warm up and soften a bit at room temperature before serving them.